Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simplism Games Simplism Games
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27
Send Topic Print
Tournaments (Read 211543 times)
hexx

I play speed up free!

Re: Tournaments
Reply #345 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 6:50pm

hmmmmmm....
91.87 seems to be a little bit faster than 101s Grin

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #346 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 7:07am

2nd again.

Looks like we've got a good battle for the second spot in div3 going.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #347 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 2:48am

So the season 18 passed without any board I could enjoy playing. Exactly one board came along which somehow fitted my playing style (on which I took rank 2). Honestly, I'm fed up. All week long I had not more than one hour to play T8 and suddenly on the very last day I had to face Lucas 42 which would have taken me out of 1. Div. However, one more hour playing in the middle of the night gave me this nice 61. Not nice enough for my taste since one good (or lucky) game could ruin it again. But whatever will happen during the rest of the night and no matter if I'll be in 1st or 2nd next season - competeing is over for me right now. It's just no more fun like this and I'm not gonna waste time any more for playing without having fun.

So from now on I'll play only boards I like or parhaps 15 mins a week.
You can understand this as my official retirement.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #348 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 6:01pm

@Christoph: Hopefully, you think about your decision. Would be very sad to lose you in nono competitions. But the 6.75 in current S19/T1 seems to be a good time, maybe you have already unretired.

Btw, I didn't really appreciate any board of S18 as well, but I'll hope for nice board in next seasons Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #349 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 7:36pm

Well, this season provides already more nice boards than the last one Smiley - that's the only reason I played.
I can't see the 6.75 give me reasonable points since I blew a 5.90 on one wrong flag in the very next game. I guess it'll take a low 5 to win this T.
And you'll not lose me, I'll stil be around and play two or three boards a season - dependingly on how much I like them, but I'm for sure out of compatition.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #350 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 6:55pm

You crazy guys. hexx with an incredible 4.56 in S19/T1 on the last T day, and Maruda with a 50.51 in S19/T2 on the first T day!

IP Logged

Maruda

I really love this game;D

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #351 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:59pm

well, i think we should wait for hexx´s sub 50 on saturday Wink

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #352 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 10:25am

Hey wild Maruda, don't wait for sub-50s cause 58.04s is the best I got for this week.  Angry
Your 50.51s score is quite interesting Shocked, did you grab a screeny of it? I'm really curius to see how it looks like!
BTW, because I knew I couldn't compete with 50s I also played on Flagged mode and got 68.00s and missed a 64s on last click?!?! Huh

Hey wild Stephan, my last T victory was in fact very easy, just check out the scores:
4s - 1 Wink
5s - more than 20 Cool
6s - more than zillions Grin
All this in 2 hours of intense recorded sweeping. Cheesy

IP Logged

Maruda

I really love this game;D

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #353 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 4:58pm

ok, i think it was almost dreamboard Smiley
with a bit of luck in the bottom row it was very nice board to play...

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #354 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Nice one wild Maruda, the left side is too easy and bottom guess was big help, I like your board Angry
I would enjoy even more if there was a video, just to have a better insight of the event Wink

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #355 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 9:31pm

Well, I don't think I will be lucky enough to finish this T... I got 6 times to <40 mines (once it was 21) and about million times to <70. Flagged everything "flaggable". Turned on "?" marks to try different mines configuration and no, I didn't get any solvable board => wrong guess

@Qetuth, Gabi: You've finished it at least twice so far. Did you have to guess too? Or is it some kind of higher solving skill? Wink

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #356 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:48pm

I've finished it 4 times. Probably about six hours play. However: A fair bit of that, until the first finish (568 I think?), were playing much the same way I often play genius, as slowly and carefully as required with the aim of finishing ignoring time. So it wasnt as many games as you might think. I play genius and sometime expertOF like that all the time (finishing in random times between about 200 and 3000, usually about 500 though, unless I don't play continuously). I apparently have a different puzzle background to most of you, since that's the same style of play you'd expect from a harder puzzle book.

My most recent finish, in the 300s, was with no guesses besides the first two numbers down the side column, which is how I start. The 278 currently winning, I believe started with something like a 73311 down the left column and I started with a guess of the 73 from the top. I also guessed similarly from the bottom in the opposite corner, something like 44 from the bottom in the right column, and otherwise I think there was one other guess, clearing about 3 squares of a row which only had a 2 remaining but about 6 places for it to be.

I also, in one of my first speed based games, had a loss at about 90% in 160s which I'm pretty sure would have been finished without guesses beyond the start: The column I was trying to figure out the bottom half of turned out to be empty of further mines (I'd badly miscounted the number of blocks in a 1312131213etc type column. Embarrassed )

I see this board as a good challenge, but even I find it a bit frustrating at times, so I can't imagine what others think of it.

Q

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #357 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 12:29am

In the hope of more times being posted: My tactics for S19T3. Sorry for the long and double post anyone who doesn't care. One point,  I can never stand using ?marks. I do a lot of mining and unmining as working, and am somewhat used to either resolving or remembering how to put things back how they were when done.

To start, wait for a board wih what looks like fairly full side columns, or at least a large number or two in them. Guess the first couple of numbers out of these to get you started, then solve as much as you can of those (hopefully most of the top 5th). I then quickly look down the rows for ones with enough to reveal mines and put those in (I recognise pretty much all of these from genius), then look over the columns, testing any I think theres a remote chance of giving more info.

I do this by, for example, running down a column, marking as if everytihng was squashed to the top. If I get to the bottom and there are 3 blanks left, every block of mines has 3 removed from its start (the top in this case), so if you had a 4, the bottom mine would be left.

Example of the way I do this:
With 1243 in width 15 (or height 15 in genius:
Mark from left, gives 2 spare cells left at the end, so remove 2 from every block:
M_MM_MMMM_MMM__
X_XX_XXMM_XXM__    <-  Xs are ones removed
________MM___M__    <-  Remaining mines.

With many 15 width boards now I know these, remembering them by: 1234 means two from the 4 and one from the 3. But for other sizes I still figure out by quickly going one way to mark, then back the other way to unmark.

Mines already there can help this process: eg if you have a block get to the square before a mine, then that mine must at least be part of the block or one before it, so skip the square after the old mine and continue: This basically gives you a one mine advantage for the second half of the column. But not for the first half, so be careful.

Other things I particularly look for, as they seem to occur a lot in this board, is cases like a column starting with 113 and the 5th square is a mine, so the 4th can't be. Similarly a column starting 34 and mines in the third, ninth and tenth, so the second block of mines must be part of the 4 but it can't stretch back far enough. These type of things seem to occur a LOT in this tourney compared to genius.

Once I've done as much as I can by basic methods like that, I look for an "influential" cell, and look at (often by marking mines all over the place), what I know if the first square is a mine, and what I know if the first square isn't. Logically, anything common to the two scenarios is certain. In theory, and square on the board could have this process applied and tell you new information, but most squares in sparse sections don't tell you you anything new for both being a mine and being safe, just one or the other, and in some logically hard dense sections the two scenarios will tell you exactly opposite information.

Mines likely to be influential include:
--A first mine in the unsolved section of a row or column starting with a large number: If it starts with a 6, and its a mine, then the first 6 are mines. So if you discover by the surrounding rows that it not being a mine mean the third cell is a mine, then the third through to the sixth are all mines either way. These cells are particularly powerful in corners.

--Any mine in a row or column which is only one cell too big: Eg, if the first cell is not a mine, then the rest is certain, so see what happens if the first cell is a mine. Then try that at the other end. Or a square in the middle of the row which intersects an important column.

--A row or column with only one block remaining, particularly a 1 or a 2. Anywhere you place that mine clears a lot of cells, so look at what those cleared cells do, particularly all at once. You can often eliminate much of one of these rows.

That's about all I can think of. As far as guessing, in a bigger board I think it's safer to guess something with a high probability of being okay (opposite to a smaller board where you can play enough games that the time advantage of a bad guess is too much to pass up). However, it's pointless guessing something that wont help you significantly, because then you'll just end up making another guess right after. So don't guess something that you can't see leading to more info in several directions.

Hope this helps someone. Good Luck.

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #358 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 8:03am

Sure, that's what I meant by flagging everything flaggable Smiley I think everybody who solved genius board uses these techniques.

I use "?" marks only when I get stuck (i.e. when everything solvable is solved and I have to guess - it helps me distinguishing real mines from the guessed ones Smiley)

Good to know one can be lucky enough to get solvable board Smiley

IP Logged

Gero

Germany - Ingolstadt
Reply #359 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 3:45pm

I read your post yesterday night Nikolay and told myself to play slowly to finish a board. Well and I did it. Smiley
I look at the last row and try to complete it by guessing. The rest was done by counting and mining everything. Well in the end I was forced to guess, but I was lucky^^
So don't give up! Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27
Send Topic Print