Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simplism Games Simplism Games
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Tournaments (Read 211337 times)
Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Re: Tournaments
Reply #330 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 9:46am

Welcome back Daniel (who submitted only once in the last 41 tournaments) and Gero (once in last 54 tournaments)!

IP Logged

Gero

Germany - Ingolstadt
Reply #331 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 10:03pm

Thanks Stephan Smiley
But its not a new beginning of my nono career, I was just a bit bored and thought I could try the tourny board. Wink And I mentioned again that it is just waiting for the right board to get a competitive score. This isn't fun for me currently, I just play some boards to see I'm still able to solve nono boards in a more or less good time (the 60 i uploaded was pure luck, I get times in the 80's normally). And when I see the division 2 and 1 times I get respect and I would have to play more seriously to get competitive. That's not the aim I have right now. Smiley
So, good luck everyone getting new times. Too bad everybody seems to concentrate on tournys instead of improving in normal levels. Sad

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #332 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Stephan wrote on Oct 13th, 2007 at 9:46am:
Welcome back Daniel (who submitted only once in the last 41 tournaments) and Gero (once in last 54 tournaments)!
Thanks!  I started to play more regularly when the site went down, but I didn't know how to submit for the tournaments.  I've been concentrating on getting my expert score down (since my int falls into the category of "good enough"), but the tournaments are fun to play as well.  This board is incredibly annoying, though, so I hope my score sticks.  I'd like to make it into division 2 eventually, probably not this time around since there were three boards before I started playing, but there's no harm in trying.

Of more importance to me is that I got my 3rd-5th best expert times (93, 93, 96) last night!  I also finished a genius board, but it was not a record and was a very difficult board, so I finished at 415 seconds.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #333 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 8:19am

D'oh.  Apparently ties do not go to the second player.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #334 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 9:44pm

@Daniel: The rule is "First come, first serve". On small boards, there is always a likely risk of losing a rank without any gap to the player ín front of you Sad

@Qetuth: Great time for T6! Your 101 is by now the second-fastest time ever played on this board. Good luck with winning your first tournament  Wink

IP Logged

Gero

Germany - Ingolstadt
Reply #335 - Oct 22nd, 2007 at 5:04pm

Too bad, scored a 122 today morning but when i uploaded it didnt work and it said record already exists and when i choosed tournament on opened nono game the record was still the old there, too. Last url also didnt helped ;/

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #336 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 5:01am

@Stephan: Thanks! I couldn't believe it! I suspect a few others might have something to say about who wins before the week is out, but it was a nice board. At worst I'll know I'm making people work for their points  Wink

I also took 15 seconds off the fastest ever time for the current Mallet Mania board 15.1, so I'm having a good week.  Cheesy

@Gero: Unlucky, though on the other hand it's unlikely it'll rob you of any points. I hope to see you continue to pop into the tournaments, even if you aren't making a serious comeback.

@Daniel: Wow. You know you managed to equal the score afterwards of someone who didn't have access to the game until 3 or 4 hours before the end of the tournament? Shocked Kobbie only got to post at all because he gave me a lift home from the squash courts. Not sure when exactly you posted your time, but it must have been close. If you missed out because I let him have a go before me, sorry...that's very unlucky, even moreso than usual when equalling times.

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #337 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:33am

Posted with 5 minutes left in the tournament  Smiley

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #338 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 10:00am

I hate such boards. imo that's torture rather than nonosweeper. But what really annoys me is that I got on the very only board in the season that anyhow fitted my playing style a little bit a second place and I'm still way away from being savely through.
I mean: 6 tournies 4 of which with boards I really can't enjoy playing, 1 not really long rectangle which is somehow playable and one not really small rectangle which was ok. There was no small board and not a single low density board yet. I've no fun anymore with having to play such disgusting boards over and over just to find another point. I'm really thinking of quiting competing in 1.Div and just let myself drop out to second or third and playing only boards I like to play (which are getting rare these days).

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #339 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 10:05am

Come on, this board is not so bad...  The 12x12 with 40 or 45 mines is much worse Wink Although I must say I've lost few boards due to ambiguous situation with less than 10 blank squares to go and it was pretty annoying  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #340 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:37pm

Christoph, I start to feel the same way when there seem to be 5 tiny boards in a row. I'm not trying to criticise your complaint, just offer another point of view. It's a pity you don't enjoy them, I find the challenge of a hard to figure out board the best part.

To me, the small boards (including long narrow ones with fairly high density) seem all pretty much the same, and I often don't see a lot of point trying to be competitive in them unless I get particularly lucky or I'm particularly bored. And there are far more of those than 'interesting' boards.

Several times I've considered bringing up a revision of the tournament distribution so it isn't biased so much towards the small board experts, but every time I'm about to do that we finally get a decent board.

I've interpreted this season as: {tiny, geniuslike, low density, smaller than int, annoyingly tiny, low density} which is a fair bit different from yours. Two low density boards is odd, but I'd personally take it over more than half the season being target practice boards. So I suppose in the end it evens out, and this is just a better than usual season for me, worse for you.

Btw, note that I have the third best genius time of an active player (if gero is being truthful about not really being back  Wink ) and yet have never (as of last sunday) managed a third overall in a tournament. Maybe that says something about the lack of 'interesting boards Cool Hey, you have two firsts, one of them better than 80% of second place  Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #341 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 6:24pm

I wouldn't call a board low density unless it's way faster to go for flags only instead of nf. But however, I really like low density (like 20x20, 8) or small low density (like 5x4, 4) which one can bruteforce and small other boards. And I love small board which are just large enough that one can't bruteforce them (like 7x7, 12) because on these luck entirely disappears and it comes down only to skil since everyone gets the easy boards.
Boards like the actual one are for me not just boring to play but are also annoying since I know that I can't win them without being extraordinary lucky - one can play a year on it without geting a single decent one (but murphis law tells, that someone else is about hitting an easy one, and bang, no chance for competing anymore since the week over).
I'm not saying I don't like big boards. I enjoy playing them once in a while, but they are not representing skill and thus I hate when they show up at tournys and make me play them for an way too long time because I need one or two points. I don't have that much time. And I don't like tournys to be decided by who has more time to play. (All of you will have recognized that on small boards you're coming way faster to a score around your final one than on big ones, right?)

I'm not asking to remove these board from trounrys, but this season will probably be decided without either a small or a low density board. Thus (to my oppinion) it will not just be the most random season ever played but also the season with the board set that least favors me - obviously both annoys me (especially the randomness to make that clear, we could as well flip coins who of Qetuth, Manu, Luca and me should go to 2.Div next season).

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #342 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 7:10pm

Hi Christoph, hi Qetuth,

it's funny that you discuss about this season being a good or a bad one. Definitely, it was a bad one due to the technical problems in the first Ts Wink And in fact, I don't really appreciate the boards of this season as well, so I would agree with Christoph.

But let me tell you some analysis I just checked out:

As far as I know, the random generation of T boards still follows the idea of the T pool, set up in 2006.
The pool of boards knows five categories: Small boards (A), big boards (B), long rectangles (C), low mine density (D), and other (E).
Yariv wrote in nonosweeper news: "Each season will contain 1 board from each category (=5 boards), 1 board from a random category and 2 randomly generated boards, so we should get a better mix of boards from now on!"

In S18, we had so far:
15x4/32 -> group C
30x10/180 -> group B
12x12/40 -> group D
8x8/32 -> group A (untypical one, but the limit for A is a maximum of 8 squares for rows and columns, regardless the mine density)
10x4/31 -> only fits in E
15x15/100 -> group D

In S17, there were the following boards:
7x7/15 -> A
30x/138 -> C
25x25/600 -> B
10x15/124 -> E
19x14/160 -> E
10x15/120 -> E
5x15/42 -> C
15x15/8 -> D

So, with two boards from group D (density lower than 50%), but both boards with a relatively high low density, S18 is maybe a rather untypical season. However, S17 had only one board from group D, with an extremely low low density. But that's the coincidence.

And nonotheless, there are still two boards remaining for season 18. I would prefer a really big board with extreme high or low density but who knows which board type will come....

I think the pool system really allows a better mix, but of course, we could still make categories more extreme to make sure that a higher amount of extreme board types is taken into account in each season. On the other hand, I prefer the current solution as there is a positive chance of having seasons without 12x12/45 type boards Smiley

Happy sweeping and a fair competition!

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #343 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 7:44am

@Christoph: You favor bruteforcing on tiny boards - I don't. Stephan favors s extremely high or low density boards - I don't. Qetuth favors biiiiiig boards - I don't. In fact I don't favor any boards, I'm average on every board, but there is one type of boards I really hate - 12x12/40 or 45 mines  Wink But the cathegories system means variability during the season and it means more fun for me.

What I really like is this:
1 Qetuth 101.68 sec 2007-10-21 8 pts
2 Nikolaj 102.23 sec 2007-10-25 6 pts
3 Maruda 102.28 sec 2007-10-24 5 pts

gap between the leader an the 3rd player is 0.6s after 100 seconds of playing!

@Stephan: I won't play this T anymore so you are allowed to tie my time, but nothing more Tongue

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #344 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 8:34am

@Nikolaj: You know that I'm slow on this type of board. So, 129 is already 21 seconds faster than my second-best time in this week and was done on quite a good board...
I think I can (I have to, respectively) live with #5 or #6 in this week, and I maybe concentrate on bringing my int average down to 13.0 or 12.8 Wink

Current standings are really nice.
@hexx: What about finishing in 101.73 - would be nice symmetry and maybe Qetuth's T win?!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Send Topic Print