Send Topic Print
Tournaments vol. 3 (Read 37253 times)
Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Tournaments vol. 3
Dec 6th, 2015 at 3:46pm

I start a new thread for tournaments, as vol. 2 has again 27 subsites of posts.

The last T is it worth to send a post due to this result:
1 Lutz Guenther 74.83 sec 2015-12-03 8 pts
2 EWQMinesweeper 74.83 sec 2015-12-04 6 pts

It was one of the few tournaments in which the earlier submission of a time decided on the winner of the T. Of course, a 15x15/116 board wasn't likely to be one with tied times for #1 and #2. But Lutz and EWQM. did it and both submitted exactly the same 74.83 Shocked!

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Re: Tournaments vol. 3
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 8:41pm

@Stephan: Perhaps a bit late, but sorry for stole you an opportunity to win another T  Embarrassed, i just couldn't resist... Smiley

My goal on T3 was to get a sub_6s, and of course, i used the infamous hexx' Int strategy slightly modified Wink. Slightly because i cleaned up 2 rows at the same time in order to save clicks. Therefore i was able to finish a "16 3bv" board in just 12 clicks Shocked in a grid that could be solved in 10 as best scenario.

The part i enjoyed the most was the last one, the conjoined 211 paterns solved amazingly in just 2 clicks. Cool

The vid is here: https://youtu.be/gkgVJ-ZiNIw

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 11:34pm

@Lutz: Congrats on winning T4. What was your strategy for that board? I couldn't really figure out how to play it as fast as I would have wanted to. Starting with a solvable edge, playing FL for the most part and then switching to NF or Blue Face near the end seemed to be promising but after the 74 I had too much else to do.

@hexx: Congrats on winning T3 (and thanks for "stealing" a point from Stephan). Nymike and I usually refer to the way you seemed to have played T3 as "half hexx" as the main focus is on clearing the outer rows or columns first whereas "hexx strategy" on int means starting by solving the whole outer circle.

IP Logged

Lutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 10:13am

Thank you, EWQM. I didn't have a real strategy. Since I am not capable of switching playing styles during a game I just flagged and tried to be as fast and accurate as possible. Maybe a 70.xx would've been possible for me following that approach but I busted several promising boards.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 4:37pm

@hexx: It's always frustrating when I finally manage to beat EWQM. and Lutz (what is a very rare event, indeed), and then, you come along out of nowhere and beat me Angry. And even worse, this nice board was to be played in a week where I was on vacation from Friday, so I needed to play in less comfortable environment than I do usually Cry. But anyway, congratulations to a famous time! Your 5.97 video is almost too fast for me to follow Undecided.

@EWQM.: No fear, you will easily win the season as long as you seriously play. There are too few boards out there on which I am still competitive.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 11:44pm

Nymike pointed out some interesting trivia to me yesterday afternoon:

He was wondering whether I was holding, since it was quite a while since I last finished a tournament outside of division 1's top3. I just check via Stephan's awesome statistics tables for the tournaments and it turns out that S70T6 ended a streak of 81 tournament submissions that resulted in top3 finishes in division 1. I also checked how long Stephan's, Hexx', Lutz' and Maruda's longest such streaks were. Found none above 50.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 5:34pm

@EWQM.: I was really surprised (Shocked) when I got the T results and saw you ending in #4 (besides the large surprise that hexx didn't beat my latest submission Wink).

81 top3 finishes in a row is an awesome performance. But you had only 7 of 16 submissions in S67+S68, so this statistics is a bit incomplete Cheesy. My current streak is 94 submissions in a row, without having missed any tournament, and always ended at least top5 (even in vacation weeks Undecided).

Of course, 94 submissions is still ridiculously low, by the way. So far, the most continuous submissions achieved:
382      Nikolaj (from S3/T8 till S51/T5 (!))
369      Qetuth
354      Caren
307      Maruda
297      EWQMinesweeper
218      Dragon
172      Manuel Heider
168      BoBo
165      Lutz Guenther
152      Stephan Bechtel

We should do even more statistics, shouldn't we?!

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:07pm

@EWQM.:

Got this one: https://youtu.be/LOTpeGjncLQ Roll Eyes and no more playing this week Undecided...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:02pm

@hexx: As always amazing. Why no more playing for you this week? I think 45ish times might be possible on this board.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 9:36am

EWQM., you were right Wink - even sub-45 was possible. And congratulations for winning another season Cool, with a large gap to all further competitors.

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 9:37pm

Stephan my friend, i have a different opinion!?

The EWQM.'s "large gap" you are talking about is the result of intense and compulsive use of "steroids" Sad. That's why EWQM. can built "large gaps", "sub-45s" and "whatever he wants" so easily Tongue.

Otherwise it you be much harder, if not impossible, for him to fulfill his "whatever he wants" goals, and you would have a few more T seasons and many more T wins in your portfolio....

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 12:43am

@Stephan: Thanks! I almost forgot to play last saturday evening, for some reason thinking I still had another day left. Luckily it didn't take too long to get a board that allowed for a fast time. I wouldn't exactly call 7 points a large gap for winning 5 out of 8 boards. Without hexx' involvement it would have only been 6 points and T5 and T8 have been close calls.

I also expect S71 to become an even closer competition as I won't be able to play (as) much (as usual).

@hexx: Cheesy It's just hundreds and hundres of hours of practice and yet your records on 3 of the 4 standard levels and most tournament board beat mine.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 9:12am

@EWQM.: An intense race will be an advantage for Lutz. I for my own person don't think I can compete. With 1-2 hours of playing each week, I'm just too less trained to compete with the times of Lutz, hexx, and you (at least on bigger boards).

Even if you won't "play (as) much (as usual)", I guess, S71 will be the season where you manage to get #1 in all-time T podiums. After S70, the ranking looks like this:
1. Stephan 127-162-115
2. EWQM. 125-73-52
3. hexx 112-49-14
4. Maruda 77-97-102

So, you only need a 3-0, 4-1 or 5-2 result vs. myself to jump onto #1.

7 points finally IS a large gap. Why? After six Ts in S70, I had been back only 2 points (that would have been a tight final gap), but unfortunately, the Christmas T (where I needed to play during vacation) had a large grid, bad for me and no chance to win this T.

@hexx: I am happy with my situation and won't complain Cool. EWQM. is much younger than I am, and - with one well-known Portuguese exception Wink - mostly youngers beat the older ones.

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 9:29pm

@Stephan: The issue of age sounds a bit of excuse. This game is all about motivation Smiley.

I´m motivated to play but can't do it every week, therefore i play just for fun. My goal for current T is a sub-4s Roll Eyes, so my 3.99s is good enough and it will be final score. Wink

Allow me to presume you will score between 3.20s and 3.40s and EWQM. will win/beat you (if he plays as much as usual...) making something between 3.10s and 3.30s Shocked. It's so funny to see EWQM. beating you sistematically but he avoids to overtake my best scores (3.01s for this T board).

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #14 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 5:43pm

@hexx:
- This game is all about motivation, you might be right. But when I was student, my motivation to play PC games was definitely higher than nowadays Smiley.
- Thank you for 3.99 being your final score, this helped myself a lot. I tried to reach your presumption, but failed with a final 3.51. Luckily, EWQM. did obviously not find as much time as usually Wink.
- About all-time bests: I first try to reach my own all-time bests, but mostly do not get them. Last appearance of T2 grid was about six years ago, so with my current mouse and laptop equipment, I'm not capable to beat my own times (and not even yours, of course).
- You had never submitted a time for T3 grid by now, in four appearances. I presume you'll beat Harryck's 3.70 with a sub-3 Huh.

PS: Thank you, EWQM., for not submitting a faster time in T2 Cool.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print