Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simplism Games Simplism Games
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Tournaments vol. 2 (Read 190206 times)
Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Tournaments vol. 2
Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:30pm

Hi friends of Nonosweeper Tournaments!

S25_T2 was the 200th Nonosweeper tournament!
Congratulations to Maruda, who managed to submit a time in every of the 200 competitions! This is an outstanding result, concerning the top 5 players in participations:
Rank Player Participations View player's profile Real name (Country)
1. Maruda 200 http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/showuser.cgi?user=218 Jan Farnik (CZE)
2. Stephan Bechtel 199 http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/showuser.cgi?user=170 Stephan Bechtel (GER)
3. Qetuth 187 http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/showuser.cgi?user=280 n/a (AUS)
4. hexx 184 http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/showuser.cgi?user=272 Paulo Justo (POR)
5. Bobo 181 http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/showuser.cgi?user=63 n/a (BUL)

The honour for the most active country goes to the USA:
Rank Country Participations in total Number of different players
1. USA 843 13
2. Germany 634 8
3. Czech Republic 434 3
4. Country unknown 409 22
5. Bulgaria 362 5

The by far most successful player is hexx, of course, who won more than 50% of the tournaments he participated in:
Rank Player Tournaments won
1. hexx 98
2. Luca Vezzoni 33
2. Maruda 33
4. Stephan Bechtel 26
5. Nikolaj 3

hexx also collected the highest amount of points. Please note that e.g. eight points were counted for any rank #1, regardless the corresponding division:
Rank Player Points collected
1. hexx 1287
2. Maruda 1061
3. Stephan Bechtel 1001
4. Luca Vezzoni 868
5. Nikolaj 660
6. Qetuth 638
7. Roland Seibt 638
8. Vladimir Orlov 625
9. Gene 602
10. Richard 561

And there are other interesting facts, of course, concerning the tournament history in the era of divisions (divisions have been established after season 3):
* hexx, Maruda, and Stephan Bechtel are the only players who stayed in division 1 for all the time
* Richard never managed to get into division 1, but was listed in other divisions for all the time
* Bobo, and Spot never managed to get into divisions 1, or 2, but were listed in divisions 3, or 4 for all the time
* Yariv Hastilow continuously belonged to division 2 for 12 seasons
* Bobo continuously belonged to division 3 for 15 seasons
* The most relegations has Qetuth (16, 8 ups/8 downs), followed by Caren (13, +7/-6), and Richard (12, +6/-6)
* Manuel Heider is the only player who entered the tournaments in division 4, but managed to proceed up to division 1
* Vladimir Orlov was the first player who managed to climb up season per season from bottom to top division. He needed 14 tournament participations. EWQMinesweeper managed the same feat in only 13 tournament participations

Feel free to comment my useless statistics or to amend other nice findings!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Re: Tournaments vol. 2
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:19pm

very nice stats! well done! - can't really believe that i made it somewhere into these stats

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 2:28am

Great work Stephan!

Some even more useless stats about relegation pairs:

The most common partners to be relegated together:
Qetuth and Caren 6 times.
Vladimir Orlov and Gene 4 times.
Vladimir Orlov and Piman 3 times.
Dan and Roland Seibt 3 times.
Rincewind and Richard 3 times.

Qetuth and Caren were relegated together 5 seasons in a row (12..16), going back and forward between divisions 1 and 2.
Vladimir Orlov and Gene were relegated together 3 seasons in a row (7..9) and are also the only pair to have been relegated up to different divisions together (Division 3 to 2 in season 4, 2 to 1 in seasons 7 and 9)

The following list of partners have been relegated back and forward twice in a row together, hanging on the border of two divisions.
Vladimir and Piman, Brett Z and Raquel, Vladimir and Gene, Brett Z and Thy_Cowman, Dan and Roland, Richard and Raquel, Qetuth and Caren, Vladimir and Roland, Dragon and Vladimir, Manuel and Qetuth, Gabi and Manuel, Alliska and Qetuth, Rincewind and Richard, Gabi and EWQMinesweeper

Vladimir Orlov has been relegated 11 times (4th most relegations), with only 4 partners. All 4 are in the above list.

And while I'm at it, High Scores:
64: Luca Vezzoni in s12 d2
64: Dragon in s14 d3
62: hexx in s9 d1, s14 d1
62: Manuel Heider in s12 d4

Lowest winning score:
Kobbie, 35 points in season 18 division 3.

Highest score without relegation up (ignoring division 1):
Christoph, 46 points in season 10 division 2.
Season 10 also had equal second place in its other divisions, with both Peter and eL bEn failing to go up with 44 points.

Highest score which still got relegated:
Yariv Hastilow with 19 in season 15 (ending his 12 seasons in one division).
Gene with 19 in season 19.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:01am

Great work Qetuth as well! Thanks!

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 10:04am

nice stats guys Smiley too bad I began my nonocareer later => I have 1 season in D2 Smiley but I've uploaded time in every tournament since my first participation Smiley

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:20pm

just got a very nice t3 board: 9 single mines.....not good for a fast time but it looks funny. also got a board with 2 5s in the middle lines which i screwed up to a 4s too.....i hate this board Angry

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 9:00pm

1 question: how do i upload a picture to my post?

@all div1 folks (except stephan and maruda): if i was still in div1 in this season i would have almost beaten you by 3s! this time - i had a group of 2 mines wrong when i hit the blue face at 12s!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:41pm

another question: why does luca have 57 points after only 7 tournaments? he has won 6 tournaments this season and was 3rd in one too. so he should have 53points...or 61 tomorrow

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Hi EWQMinesweeper,
this is a relevant question indeed. I don't know why, and I assume it's just a mistake. Maybe, Yariv can help us.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:16pm

Hey players,
S26_T01 was quite interesting for me as I changed my playing style two times.
I started with clearing every square either by clicking the empty ones or by marking the mines. My best score was a 14.95.
Then I chose NF mode (without marking the mines). I came down to 11.79.
Finally, I switched to extreme flagging mode, without clicking the no-mine squares. I got my 10.25 and 7 sub-13s with that mode.

Now I'm just curious: Which style did you choose? Did you change your tactics as well?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 6:42pm

hi stephan,

in T1 it took me relatively long to find a solid style. my times were around 25-30s before i came to the conclusion that it'd be best for me to wait for an easy top or bottom line with as many mines as possible. i cleared these lines first and then from one side i started clearing the columns as far as possible and if needed i switched to solving them from the other side. that way i got my 14 and a few more 15s.

the only thing that was not like the previous tournaments for me was that switched very often from genius to exp to int to T1 to exp and the to mines-exp and then back to T1...

@my 9,71 in T2: it was my 2nd finished T2 board and i admit it was sooooooo easy. all mines were in only 3 rows in 5-1-2 3-1 and 1-1-6

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 7:53pm

I think it is important to remember the community that someone has achieved a relevant milestone Smiley

Someone = hexx Wink
Achivement = 100th T win  Cheesy

For this reason i´m posting the vid link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFhQNihvlVs

@ Stephan: I hope you enjoy the vid!!!!
It shows clearly that  NF strategy is the best option, despite of the 42 safe blocks opened.
NF really works on very easy boards, which seems to be the case. Shocked

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 8:01am

Hi hexx,

congratulations for winning the 100th tournament. Of course, this is an enormous performance as all other players together have hardly more than 100 wins...

The video is amazing. I had to view it four times until I could recognize your tactics. And you play way to fast for my eyes... So, I would have needed a much better board to beat your 9.03 using NF.

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 10:49am

@ Hexx

Congratulations  Smiley

@ Stephan

I played T1 board in NF-style. I can't play low density boards quickly in "extreme flagging mode" because of wasting time when  too much thinking.
I've seen Hexx' 9,03 video. What do you think about solving upper and lower rows at start? Is it more quick then solving the board for one passage from side to side (like I did)?

Nonosweeper records: 1,84 - 15,96- 77,??- 244,??&&Minesweeper records:  1,59 - 17,47 - 65,80
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 1:01pm

Hi Vladimir,

hexx' int level strategy is/was to solve the two columns leftmost/rightmost and the top/bottom rows in a circle and then solve the rest. I appreciate that strategy for my intermediate games as well.
So, I think it can be a good strategy for rectangular boards, too. The advantage obviously is that you usually increase the amount of obvious columns. That advantage could overdo the disadvantage of jumping around through the board...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #15 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 4:43pm

after 3 horrible 9s games today and yesterday (9,73s, 9,76s and 9,95s) i finally lowered my score for T2 again  Tongue Roll Eyes : 9,04s

i'm really wondering why this is the 3rd best score in this tournament, because usually i'm rather slow on such boards. tactic for this level is to flag all mines and then blue face, right?

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 9:21am

Nonosweeper records: 1,84 - 15,96- 77,??- 244,??&&Minesweeper records:  1,59 - 17,47 - 65,80
IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 10:06am

that sucks, blasting such an easy board on sth like this...

believe it or not: i got exactly this board on sunday as my 2nd finished T2 board and i solved it in 9.71s

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 11:17am

TBDMfan wrote on Dec 26th, 2008 at 10:06am:
believe it or not: i got exactly this board on sunday as my 2nd finished T2 board and i solved it in 9.71s

Pray to Great Random  Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 11:48am

hahaha

i just got my 6th 9s game on T2: a 9.28s

it's time for a sub9 game now

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #20 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 8:13am

bleh, not much time for playing these days, hopefully I'll manage to stay in D1 Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 5:49pm

Hi Bobo,

congratulations for winning your first Div3 Tournament - after so many participations, you really deserve it.
Good luck in relegating upwards!

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 3:09pm

Hi guys,

I regret to inform you that the time has come to say goobye to tournaments. Cry Cry Cry
Everything has an end, now is the correct moment to retire. Undecided
What else can I do after:
near 4 years playing;
more than 200 participations;
111 T Win (symbolic figure);
17 victories on T seasons!!!!

All this numbers are huge but I'm completely sure that someone in a near future will break this marks very easily... Wink

I hope you guys understand my decision.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 6:47pm

are you serious?  Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 8:54pm

Hi hexx,

hopefully you are just kidding, but I'm quite sure that you are not, indeed Cry.

I understand your decision as I a) have less and less time to play, and b) often wonder whether a computer game addiction is the right thing for a sup-30-year-old guy...

If you really retire, let me say that it was always a great honour to lose against you and an even greater ambition to win a single tournament or a whole season in your presence. And even if anyone will break your marks (I've already broken the 4-years mark and have quite more T participations Wink, but I think you thought of the really outstanding ones - and they will last long: Maruda will need min. 10 seasons to beat the 111, and min. 13 seasons to tie the 17 Shocked), it won't be the same again. A real Nono era will go to an end! Thank you for sharing your Nono performance with us.

@all: I thought the historic thing of season 29 might be that after a series of 8 seasons in a row, div 1 consists of male players only, as Alliska, Caren, and Gabi relegated in div 2 again, but obviously I was mistaken...

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #25 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:21am

@hexx: It's always sad to see any regular leaving, but your retirement is even more sad  Cry. Nonetheles I understand you. I still claim the win in our bet and expect meeting you with bottle of the best portuguese wine some day Wink Your records will probably last very long. Good luck in real life  Wink

Last 2 seasons I play +-30 minutes per tournament because I lack time and the fun Nonosweeper gave me for several years is slowly fading... Because I don't play levels I'm getting more and more rusty and probably won't be able to compete with Manuel or Fritz and relegate soon (I was lucky not to relegate already in season 27  Cool) but hey guys, it won't be so easy for you Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #26 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 4:40am

stephan, maruda, you are really lucky that i failed on a low 21 on the very last click...untill 3.30am i was in the mood for nono but then i play ms and got 3*sub50 in 1 hour...

i won't make the mistake of T1 again in this season...next tournaments will show if i need to redefine my goal of 3rd place in this season Wink

IP Logged

Maruda

I really love this game;D

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #27 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:32am

well, i think that both of us failed to finish several sub 20 in T1 Wink

i think you have no rivals in your battle for 3rd place. GL Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 10:55am

Maybe EWQ will attack my position, Maruda...
I was quite lucky with the 2nd rank in T1, as I didn't have much time to play and only missed a single sub-20. And as I probably won't have much time to play during the whole current season, I might fight hard for winning any T or finishing the season in #2 or #1.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #29 - May 25th, 2009 at 8:22pm

@yariv and at all: i have to say that i am quite unhappy with the T8 board. in over 4 hours of playing i could win only 1 board, and that was with several guesses...difficult boards are good for tournaments but T8 is too difficult/hard to finish enough games in a reasonable amount of time to have a real competition between sweepers...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #30 - May 28th, 2009 at 12:53pm

seeing that i just got 79s on T8 i want to say that the board i got was extremely easy...the only easy board i got in almost 10 hours of playing T8 so far...

does anyone know why stephan is not taking part in t7 and t8???

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #31 - May 31st, 2009 at 1:52pm

Hi EWQM.,

I know why Stephan was not taking part in T7 and T8...
During T7, I was absent due to holidays, and was away from any Nonosweeper PC, so I couldn't play that T.
I returned on Wednesday, but didn't have much time to play T8. As I both hate medium density boards and didn't have luck in finishing any board within half an hour, I decided to give up season 28, and to re-enter Nono Ts in season 29!

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #32 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:07pm

Happy Birthday Stephan!!!
Go on and this one!

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #33 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 6:36pm

ouch!!
I messed that up big time - this really should have been a 1.1x but I missed a square and had to go back to it to end up with a 1.41 - well, T1 is not over yet and I can still decide if I prefer to watch Serbia-Austria or to keep on playing Smiley

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #34 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 10:42pm

@gero and roland: are you going to play several seasons in a row or is it just an occassional popping up? Tongue

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #35 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 11:58am

Hi tournament participants,
due to database problems, Yariv had to restart S29_T8! The T8 board is a 20x4/23 grid. So, if you downloaded your current tournament info yesterday (i.e. at a time where the problems weren't solved), you should just update the current T info now in order to play the correct board.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #36 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 3:02pm

@stephan: for this really really sucks....because of sth of this kind i will not be able to stay in div1  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

the thing is, i am currently, from sunday till sunday, in cefalu in italy. on last sunday i got up very early, just to play the last  tournament, got a very decent time, thought nothing bad and that i'd be safe in div1 and then i have to find out this................

just not happy.....

this ain't fair

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 2:03pm

@EWQMinesweeper: I've been away the final weekend of T5, and I just couldn't get to the internet in time to upload the 4.18 I got which would have won me the tournament. So it strikes all of us once in a while (maybe I will relagate as well, just because of this). As long as you keep enjoying the game it doesn't matter if you spend a season in Div2.
I retired from competing a long time ago. I play boards only seriously if I like them (and there are way too few really nice tourny boards). Avarage boards I just play once or twice a week and I don't really care how many points they earn me. And I'm not interested in ugly boards. If that's enough for staying up... fine, if not... fine as well.
So don't be angry or frustrated - that's not what the game is made for.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 3:28pm

Hi EWQM.,
of course, this is not the way one wants to relegate. But in fact, season 29 would have been closed after 7 tournaments, and this wouldn't have been fair as well for every player who hoped for a good T8. I didn't know that Yariv has to start a new T8 board when repairing the database, and I did my best to inform all the players.

So, maybe just take the chance to tie Luca's record of winning all 8 Ts in division 2 within a season.

Btw, as the relegated players were a German one (EWQM.) and a sup-30-aged (Nikolaj), I (German sup-30-aged) don't appreciate these relegations very much...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 12:53pm

@stephan and christoph: of course i'll stick to nono  Wink

it was just a bad coincidence and i'm not at all mad at anyone...i guess i can use it as a big motivation to get back into div1 as soon as i can Tongue

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 7:40pm

Oh well, it had to come sooner or later Smiley

I guess wedding preparations stole most of my free time + as Christoph said this season we didn't have many nice boards - e.g. I hate extreme rectangles - we had 4 boards + the 3x8/12 mines one. I must say I really enjoyed this season Tongue

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #41 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 11:55am

This season 30 starts with pretty much the only kind of NFing board I like, but luck seems to doesn't like me on it: I just got almost in a row this 6.42 and then LCs on 6.24, 4.87 and 5.99 before I got another 6.56 and 7.01. And now my playing time for this week is almost over Sad

I wonder if s30 will get similary interesting to s29 where the religation players from Div1 cummulated 39 points - 10 points more then ever bevore.
It already looks likely, that Div 4 will survive this s30 - I somehow hope that it can establish itself for longer this time Smiley

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #42 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 2:19pm

@Nikolaj: Did I read wedding?
Very much congrats!!! Let us know more.  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #43 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:05pm

I really hate such random boards like this S30 T4!
I mean, I like long rectangles - but this one is just random as it is almost guaranteed that some players get really easy boards and some not. I got only one easy board where I could clear the top row in the beginning and died on a guess at the very end - it would have been about a 28 and would probably have (very undeserved) won me that T.
I mean quite big boards are ok because nobody gets lucky, smallish and small boards are ok because everybody gets lucky - but I hate this midrange randomness! Smiley
However, I don't think that too many here will share this oppinion such that it doesn't make too much sense to try to do something against. :|

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 4:42pm

@Christoph: I generally agree. I was quite shocked when I saw Gabi's time of 36 submitted on sunday while I hang at high 40s. It is well known that on such boards you can have very easy ones.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't do anything against long rectangle boards. In long-run statistics, most Ts ended with wins of hexx or Maruda, on nearly every type of board.

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #45 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 12:56am

I don't really have anything against a particular type of board although I prefer larger ones that require more thought than luck. But it seems lately we're getting SOOO MANY skew boards!  Cry I was starting to think the system which chooses between the types each season was stuck on the skew setting.

At least this one, despite appearing skewed, plays more like beginner than skewed, so it's a change. Already on the first day two people have beaten the best time of the last time it ran (2.51)

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #46 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 9:17am

@Qetuth: I didn't mean long rectangles in general, I meant random boards. I've nothing against long rectangles, I like them. I just don't like, when the probability of getting an easy board is in a range when it guarantees that only some players get lucky. This is what I hate - the board itself was nice and I enjoyed playing it (otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time with it).
Of course I enjoy the actual board much more, but again I'm unlucky with the timing - my mum is in town to marry next week, thus I'll have even less time to play. However, perhaps I'll find some time and decent boards on saturday to get something better than this 2.30 (I fear the winning time should be around 1.80).

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #47 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:11pm

i have to say i did like T4 a lot, though i have to admit i got my best time late at night and being a little drunk (i guess it means it must have been a pretty easy board then).

in general i'm mre a fan of large and slower boards than of those that require only 2-5 seconds of fast clicking - it seems no matter what i do i am just too slow for them (hehe Wink). my 1st sub3 on T5, which i just got, required only 5 clicks and you all would easily have done way better than me on it...i hope that 1 or 2 of the last 3 boards will be a lot bigger (i love boards that take 150-250s to solve them)

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #48 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 1:38am

I know I'm bringing back old topic but I had real fun this tournament, I posted what I thought is best I can do at the start of the week, another player posted a time 2 seconds faster, I tried to give it a last effort to match him, I ended up besting my time 3 times, the second time I was .02 seconds behind the leader, so I kept playing for about hour and a half till i took the lead.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #49 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 8:20am

Hi NyMike,

congratulations for your first division win - it's always nice to see the #1 in front of one's own name Cheesy!
And, of course, it's really a big advantage of the T system, to compete directly with the times of other players who already have submitted their times. Often enough, you play a lot to get up to the guys in front of you, but just don't manage it to beat them Angry.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #50 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 12:21pm

big congrats mike!  Cheesy

Quote:
so I kept playing for about hour and a half till i took the lead
- that's real dedication to the game Wink hope you'll make it into div3 asap

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #51 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 4:25pm

out of curiousity: what's your approach to solve T2

my 2 ways of solving seem to be almost equally fast...so i wonder which of the obvious ways you are using and why Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #52 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:03am

TBDMfan wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009 at 4:25pm:
out of curiousity: what's your approach to solve T2

my 2 ways of solving seem to be almost equally fast...so i wonder which of the obvious ways you are using and why Roll Eyes

I'm not comfortable using the blue face method as evidenced by my poor performance in last seasons tournament which required a blue face solve, but I wonder if that's the kind board you blue face?

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #53 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:22am

I am not good at this tournament board... It does not matter anyway since I am only in div. 3 Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #54 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:51pm

Finally a reasonable time on this T2 S33. 0.07 off my former best, but I still don't think it'll stand - Stephan and Jan are just too fast these days...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #55 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:08pm

hehehe nice sub2

i think there is more than a chance that it will stand Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #56 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:00pm

I doubt that I will sub-2 on this board. I'm not as fast as I was. Must be a 6-6 to sub-2, I think.

But Maruda will definitely beat you, as he beats nearly every time that is submitted Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #57 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:36am

Arrgh! What a wastes S33 T7 opportunity. That really should have been my 8th tourny.
I had to change my mouse this week and couldn't get used to the new one - it is really hard to find good settings for it. So 1.81 seems not to bad with it  Cry
But if I'm not winning these tournies I most enjoy, I really should realegate  Smiley
However, I'm not gonna play this ugly T8... so bad news for who ever plans to promote from D2 next season  Smiley

But what's really sad this season is, that only 7 players sent scores in D4. I think also with 7 players it's a fully worth division and shouldn't merge. I'd really appreciate if the bottom division-merge would be cut down to less than 6 or even 5 - one could argue, that a division makes sense, if more than half the players are active (following that the bottom division should also split after pos 8 if there are more than 12 or 13 players). What do you think? (I'd like the idea of a kind of permanent Div 4 - it just looks better).

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #58 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:36am

wow a 12 minute epic win, how does the current tournament compare to genius level for those that have completed both.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #59 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:40am

@Christoph:
Your mouse problems were good luck for me. I usually never win beginner-style tournaments, but this time I was lucky with a very easy board which catapulted me from #6 into #1.

About division 4: I don't like mid divisions with only 50% continuously active players. In current div3, Shadow is likely to stay even if he participated only in 2 tournaments and only received 6 points. But we won't change that.
But I still would prefer a rule that with an inactive player in div X, there should be 3 promoters out of div X+2 to have eight active players in div X+1 in the new season. Unfortunately, I assume this will be a problem to be changed.

Perhaps, the bottom-division merge could depend on the number of submitted Ts out of all div players. In the current case, we have 7 players in div 4, but only 20 submissions overall in 7 tournaments (avg. of 2.86 per player). So, in my opinion, it's not a fully worth division as most players are passing by irregularly.

@nymike:
Current T is way easier than genius, as mine density is 60% whereas in genius level, it's only 49%. I compare it to expert level - the only difference is that you need concentration for a longer time. You should easily finish in less than 500 seconds, I think.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #60 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:30am

Stephan, right now your prediction is right on the money, but I feel like I can do considerably better, the end games of large boards on nono are brutal.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #61 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:07am

This is my third full season in these tournaments, and for the first time i feel like I let one get away, my board was a 5 column and another 4 column, doesn't get any better than that but a hesitation costed me time

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #62 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 8:38pm

1.73 on a board with a 4 in the 1st and a 5 in the 4th column... Cheesy

nice story behind this score: got this after not even 3 min of playing. when i started playing i told myself i would keep playing the whole next 30min just to get at least one 4+5 board.

c'mon guys, you know i'm usually barely 5th or 6th on such boards. hurry up and get some sub1.73 scores Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #63 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 10:22pm

Somehow I'm disappointed, that I'm not gonna win this T. I thought that I'd need a sub 1 as the WR is 1.20 on it, but I couldn't do better than this 1.52  Cry
I can't play for the rest of the T as I'm playing at the austrian mixed curling championships this weekend. We just lost our opening game against the tournament favorites. So we are looking to do better tomorrow to make it to the playoffs Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #64 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 12:19pm

@Christoph: Somehow, I'm quite happy that my 1.46 was enough to win this T. Thanks, as I didn't get a single 5-4 oder 5/5 combination this week, I couldn't do better than this 1.46 on a 2-2-5 combination.

By the way, this T was probably the first one where German players got all medal ranks. We should talk with the IOC about making this board an Olympic discipline Grin

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #65 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 3:31pm

just lost a 22.59 - would've been the square left to where i clicked...somehow i like this board Grin

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #66 - Mar 17th, 2010 at 4:22pm

crap! just blasted a 20 with 1 click to go... Angry sub20 is possible - what do you think maruda and stephan?

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #67 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 6:42pm

i agree Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #68 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 6:55pm

I agree as well even if Maruda's time is far away from mine again Sad

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #69 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 7:27pm

close battle for 3rd place in div1 this tourny, eh? Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #70 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 4:28pm

@EWQM.: And open battle for 1st and 2nd place, eh?! Good time - good luck for staying in #1.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #71 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 1:38am

i just got a column 3/19, as well as 1 1 21, if my reflexes were as quick as some of you guys.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #72 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:09am

why does nobody in div2 in S34/T5 get the 6 points for 2nd place?

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #73 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 1:30am

Thank you for noticing that Fritz, I was thinking the same thing I just dont want to cry over a point lol

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #74 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 10:44am

I'm not gonna play this S34T5, it's way too ugly for my understanding. But still it brought a thought to my mind I think I should ask the community about:
If one uses a double head monitor system in a way that one has the same picture on both screens then one could arrange the screens and the long rectange in a way, that the numbers on the right hand side (so also right hand side on the left screen) would be just left of the board on the right screen. Thus one could find the correct numbers for the lines with way less eye-movement.
I didn't try it, but still I think that could give a clear advantage. So: Should that be considered cheating?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #75 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 12:19pm

technically it's cheating but i doubt it is useful enough to give an advantage (left side of the board stays at the same positions but the right side with the numbers may move to the left and right when you hit f2). but how in the world could we be able to prove that somebody uses this trick?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #76 - Apr 9th, 2010 at 5:25pm

I agree with EWQM. As the board width varies, you won't be really able to adapt the monitor in a way that on the left one, the numbers are at the rightmost place. But simply try and tell us Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #77 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Hey EWQM. and Manuel! Thank you for a wonderful nono season 35 for Germany (competing with Austria and Czech Republic only), finishing in ranks 1 to 3:
GER 1-1-1-0-0-0-0-0
AUT 0-0-0-1-0-1-0-0
CZE 0-0-0-0-1-0-1-1

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #78 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 3:07pm

@stephan: don't forget that thanks to lutz we're now having the first season ever with 4 sweepers from the same country in div 1

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #79 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 11:26am

Well, well, two Ts gone and the points table looks somehow familiar, considering the S35 results  Shocked
Honestly, would anyone bet against Stephan to win 8 Ts and the S36 more than 20 points clear?  Huh

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #80 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 3:25pm

I would bet against winning myself all 8 Ts - the boards already played were quite good ones; int/exp level style is still very likely to come, then Gabi or anyone else will beat me. And small board with few mines will problably come up as well, then you will beat me Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #81 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 4:28pm

I won Wink - no 8 T wins in S36 by me.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #82 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:55pm

@stephan: and it might be that you also won't get to win 7 T's in S 36 Tongue

i LOVE this board. got 7.70, 7.96 and 7.60 so far on boards that were good but not perfect. blasted sth that could have already been a sub7. i'd like to hear your strategies for this weeks board (after thw tournament of course Wink)

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #83 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:41am

Yes, might... Congratulations, nearly one second gap to #2 at 7 seconds game time is nearly hexx dimensions Smiley. Seems that you didn't need other players' strategies. Myself, I didn't like the board, so I'm quite happy with #3.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #84 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 11:40am

I felt not so comfortable on that board. But stil I'd probably done better had I just had a desk to play on Grin
I'm refurnishing and was thus a little handicaped  that week  Wink Somewhen while this T I should get my new desk - then it'll be time to watch out (this 4.08 is a touchpad score Cool ).

@Stephan: ok, so you won this bet Smiley but the part about winning the S 20 points clear is stil open... you're at 14 now, just 2 points off winning the S with two Ts to spare. Considering how balenced the field behind you is at the moment, two wins should put you on 20 points.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #85 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 1:03pm

@stephan: thanks

my strategy was to wait for a 15 in top row while having the cursor in the bottom right corner. then i'd solve the bottom row from the right to the left and then column by column. my 7.00 board had a 1-5 in the first column, which already saved 3 clicks. in total i needed only 13 clicks for it.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #86 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 8:48am

@Christoph: You were right, two wins were sufficient to get a gap of 21 points Smiley, as the ranks of the other ones were really balanced. Luckily, I didn't bet against the 20 points part Wink.

I had a quick look at historic gaps in nono seasons:
1. Maruda 24 (to Stephan in S28)
2. Stephan 21 (to Manuel in S36)
3. hexx 17 (to Luca in S06)
4. Luca 7 (to hexx in S08)

In S37, I definitively won't be able to repeat this performance as I will be in holidays for several days Cheesy.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #87 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 2:43pm

congratulations to stephan on winning S36.

S36 was the fastest season so far. quick stats:

52.02s, stephan (S36, 1st place)
59.73s, fritz (S36, 4th place)
61.98s, manu (S36, 2nd place)
65.46s, christoph (S36, 3rd place)
70.44s, gabi (S36, 6th place)
71.72s, maruda (S36, 5th place)
79.32s, hexx (S21, 1st place)
83.66s, nikolaj (S36, div2)
83.73s, qetuth (S36, 8th place)
84.17s, vladimir (S36, div2)
84.22s, caren (S36, div2)
85.58s, hexx (S12, 1st place)
87.08s, maruda (S21, 3rd place)
87.28s, stephan (S21, 2nd place)
93.03s, maruda (S14, 3rd place)
94.66s, nikolaj (S21, 4th place)
95.35s, stephan (S14, 2nd place)
97.06s, hexx (S22, 1st place)
98.26s, maruda (S12, 2nd place)

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #88 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:08pm

Hi EWQM.,

nice fastest season statistics, even if it highly depends on the boards played in the corresponding seasons. If you check out winner times in past seasons, S36 had only boards which could be finished by the T winner in 12.73 seconds or faster. S21 had 21.95 as highest winner time. All other seasons contained boards where already one single board needed 30, 40 or even 100 seconds. In those seasons, a total sum of 52.02 would be difficult to reach Cool

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #89 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:56pm

I got dropped last season, will try to come back with vengeance this season.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #90 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 11:51am

i LOVE this week's level (S37/T4)

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #91 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 6:41am

20 is definitely very fast and is likely to be enough for winning this T. I'm quite happy with my 22 in a week in which I didn't have much time to play.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #92 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 8:11pm

Angry when in the last 7 hours of T4 did you submit your score, maruda? congrats on winning T4  Wink

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #93 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 7:05am

sorry EWQ, it was on sunday 7:55 CET...

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #94 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 2:22am

It is done, but Nonosweeper seems not to give me an URL if u need more than 999. Anyone else having the same problem?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #95 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:21am

i couldn't even finish a single board in over 2 hours of playing...

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #96 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:44am

The board's density is comparable to Genius (even a little bit worse), but as the board is much bigger, it is defnitively one of the most difficult boards we ever faced in T history.

If Christoph needed nearly two hours to finish one board, I doubt that anyone will finish in less than 999 seconds. I don't know whether a URL is only available for times below 999 seconds. @Christoph: You should write to Yariv. Maybe he can solve the problem.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #97 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:44am

@EWQ: Lucky you  Smiley
Imagine you played the one board almost two hours, finish it and then the upload doesn't work  Cry

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #98 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:50am

@Stephan: I didn't play two hours on the trott - I had breaks a meal and a toilet break  Grin But still the playing time well exceeded an hour.

Actually there's a little more wrong with the current season - there is a second T1 in the tournament list.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #99 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:51am

This must be a horror - I can imagine as my PC crashed several times after getting a personal best before having uploaded the time. But these were boards within 2-300 seconds... You'd deserve the 8 points for winning this T (and anybody else getting 6-5-4-3-2-1 points)! I tried only for 10 minutes, then decided to wait until saturday Wink. As by now, no one has submitted a time, so it is still possible that this T will be the emptiest one in history Shocked.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #100 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 2:28pm

solved the new one in 446s...no forced guesses needed Cheesy

@christoph: thanks for msging yariv
@yariv: thanks for keeping the board size (i love this kind of board)
@stephan: 287 mines involved too much guessing

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #101 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 3:02pm

Somehow I feel betrayed. Having solved the original board I have to see it replaced with a board on which I have no chance to get any points...

IP Logged

Nikolaj
YaBB Administrator

Ugly bearded sweeper ;-)

Mlada Boleslav
Reply #102 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:44pm

I gave up playing the board and was shocked that somebody 1. finished that board 2. so fast

Now I found the tournament was changed. Hooray for me, would never have enough time to solve it.

@Christoph: wow Shocked

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #103 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:09pm

I can understand Christoph. I suggest to list him with 300.00 seconds for the current board. Would be fair, I think.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #104 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 10:54pm

@stephan: i disagree.

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #105 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 7:58pm

i won´t have enough time to beat 300, so i don´t agree too Smiley

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #106 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 9:48am

I agree  Grin  Grin
However, what hurts even more is the extra week, such that really everyone has enought time to beat my 700odd. But if you'd really like to even things out... let me choose the next board  Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #107 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 6:50pm

finaly won a good board Wink had already LC'd 3 of them and messed up a board with 0 on the left and 11 on the right and all mines aligned to the 11...

i'm very curious which method you use to solve S38/T4. but let's not talk about strategy while the tournament is still running Wink

@maruda: only started playing this board again because you beat my time Tongue

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #108 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 6:08pm

@ewq: finished just 3 games, so it´s not a problem Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #109 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 9:35am

@EWQM.: About strategy - after several unsuccessful attempts with different mixtures of flagging and NF, the final strategy was pure flagging while playing only those boards where I got a nice first or last column. Moreover, the main progress in times came by playing as risky as possible - so I lost several 13 and 14 games as well as one 11 due to wrong guesses.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #110 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 11:14am

@stephan: that's really interesting. i started with a mix of flagging and nonflagging as well, but after 15 minutes i decided to try hexx-strategy: waiting for solvable columns on the sides and nonflagging the rest. it took at least 10 minutes to finish a game this way but my first game was already a 13. overall i finished only ~15 games throughout the whole week.

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #111 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:04am

Today I'm lucky  Wink
I was hearing The Beatles' "Savoy Truffle".
And 1221 is year of Nizhny Novgorod foundation.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #112 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 1:55pm

Well done Vladimir! That game might bring new life into the fight for relegation.

Finally I got a new personal best on that grid. But I don't think that 11.12 will stand (well, considering Harryck it doesn't even stand right now), Stephan usually sub10s on this board. Yet I feel fast - but I think I'd need an 8.odd and I don't think I can/should invest the time to get an easy enough board for it.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #113 - Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:40am

Well done, guys... I would have appreciated if my sub12 would have been enough Wink.

About sub10ing: Stephan usually had more time than this week to sub10 on this board. So, I hope that Saturday will be enough for a 10.xx Cool.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #114 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 10:19am

Was enough for two sub11s, but it was tough. Thank you, Christoph, for not striking back Tongue.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #115 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 11:17am

I had no time to play yesterday. Actually my computer was switched on only for about 5 mins (just to look up the results from the ATP Tour Finals). So it wasn't difficoult to not strike back  Grin
I'm not sure when and if I'll play the current T (first I need to get back my mouse from my girlfriend...) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #116 - Nov 28th, 2010 at 12:03pm

got a super-easy board...unfortunately a bit too early: not at all warmed up and still a bit sleepy. at least i finished it Wink

top row was 2-2-4-2-1
bottom was 3-3-3-2-1
3 empty columns and no guesses...needed only 19 clicks.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #117 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 11:05am

Historic moment: After unbelievable 307 tournament participations in a row (which means participating in every existing tournament from S01/T1 to S38/T5), Maruda finally didn't submit times for S38/T6! Hey Maruda, I hope you won't retire?!

P.S. Congratulations to EWQM. Good job!

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #118 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 2:50pm

Historic and sad... but I'm more concerned about Klaras disappearence, does anyone know what's the matter with her?

My sub2 today was pure luck (for me because it was a super easy board and for everybody else because my hands were totally frozen and I hardly could move the fingers at all - probably it would have been a sub1 otherwise). Maybe I'll find a little time to play at home (where it's warm and cosy) later this week.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #119 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 2:58pm

@Christoph: Klara missed 5 Ts in a row, but submitted for 2 of the last 3 Ts. So, I think, she hasn't disappeared.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #120 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 3:11pm

klara probably doesn't have enough time to play regulary so she makes sure to stay in division 2 by playing only as many tournaments as needed for that.

maybe maruda just overslept and couldn't upload 5min before the deadline.

@stephan: thanks

@christoph: i got a 1.93 - like you - and only seconds after a 1.92 Cheesy. no ambitions at winning this board though. i know how fast you are Wink

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #121 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 3:34am

Love the current tournament board! So easy to get good time on it

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #122 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 6:49am

@stephan: in fact i´ve retired few seasons ago. i play max. 1 hour per week. and this week i simply forgot to play Smiley no reason to be sad

@christoph: klara must take care of me because i´m very lazy. she must clean, cook, wash, iron... she has no time to play nono Grin

in fact we are a little bored with the game. but once the time comes when we start to play hard again Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #123 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 6:08pm

@Maruda: I already assumed that nonosweeper doesn't play the important role that it did 2-3 years ago. The sad thing for all other players (including myself) is that there are still lots of boards where you are competitive for finishing in top 3 or even winning the tournament with this single hour per week. So, if you play as much as you need to stay in division 1, I predict that you will always win some tournament from time to time.

@Harryck: 1.44 is great, but in all-time ranking, it's "only" #4 behind Maruda, Christoph, and Qetuth Wink.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #124 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:37pm

I'm just getting started  Wink

Also this board has played before in previous tournaments??

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #125 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 7:56am

Sure, 3x8/12 has been T board twice. See statistics on my website for detailed times.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #126 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 1:18pm

wawawait? nymike with 2.66s?? that's awesome!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #127 - Dec 13th, 2010 at 9:14pm

@stephan: nice 6.48 Tongue i already had a 6.04 LC blast. sub6 might be possible if i have to play more to win Wink you?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #128 - Dec 14th, 2010 at 9:25am

@EWQM.: 6.48 was nice, but useless after I saw your 6.42 Sad. I will probably have some time to play, but it is not sure that I will improve my time as I don't really like these boards with impair width and height like 19x17. sub6 is definitively possible, hexx already achieved that in former T Cool

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #129 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:45am

Alliska was relegated with score 22 in season 35. It was highest score for relegated player. In this season score can be higher!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #130 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 1:34pm

good luck vladimir Wink

haven't checked but it must be also a very rare event that before the last tournament of a season only 2 sweepers are safe from relegation...

EDIT: just had a blast at 5.87s with only 2 clicks left. last column was 7-8 and i decided to solve it as if the 2 squares in the middle were empty (obviously the fastest solution Wink ). well, right the next game i got a 5.95 on a board that i could have solved in 12 clicks. for some reason however i did 15 clicks Tongue

i really like this board Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 4:12pm by TBDMfan »  

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #131 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 10:32pm

Yes, Vladimir, very high score for relegating... I guess it'll hit me with 22 or 23 points. I was very unlucky last week. I lost a 0.89 with one wrong flag. Then I got some snail-mail and while opening I cut my finger such that I couldn't play untill today ;(
I really don't like the current T and I can't see me scoring heavily on it (especially because I'll have no opportunity to play on the weekend).

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #132 - Jan 1st, 2011 at 9:47am

@all: Happy new year! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #133 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 1:32am

I'm slow.

Saw it, freaked out, didn't want to screw up.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #134 - Jan 6th, 2011 at 11:48am

unbelievable...

chances of getting such a board are 1 in 1 670 000 000 000

good job finishing it. i most likely would have either messed up by flagging a wrong mine, missing the blue face or somehow else.

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #135 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:29pm

I think such boards must happen more often because of mine placing algorithm. If mines placed equiprobable we get only single mines, sometimes pairs.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #136 - Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:37am

QQwref became the first American ever to win a tournament last week, and Daniel finished second

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #137 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 10:35pm

congrats to qq (nice find nymike Wink)

@all:
isn't it a beautiful board Tongue

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #138 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 4:16pm

@EWQM.: Congratulations! 111 is a great time - no chance to beat you.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #139 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 6:24pm

thanks stephan (but i have to admit it was an insanely fast board complete right half could be solved without any hesitation). this week i can be happy if i manage to lose no more than 3 points on you though Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #140 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 5:59pm

stephaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!! swgqeiugfbfbg4vfqvf3f4bf4bgtui453rbqevg4bbehgf4hrf

the whole saturday i had this weird feeling that my 15.35 wouldn't be enough and what made it even worse was that i was at a concert last evening...anyway, well done coming back on the last day of the tourny. well deserved win!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #141 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 8:43pm

It was quite lucky to finish in #1 as I didn't find much time to play during the week. But yesterday at 5:40 p.m., I decided to try again. It took 40 minutes to beat my Tuesday score of 16.36. But then, I finished 16.10, 15.60 and finally 15.29. Thank you for attending a concert instead of striking back Smiley. Will keep the season a bit more open than otherwise Cool.

PS: I lost a 13.21 by unlucky guesses - this would have been a nice result.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #142 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 9:24pm

Stephan wrote on Jan 23rd, 2011 at 8:43pm:
. Thank you for attending a concert instead of striking back Smiley.

no concert today and enough motivation Wink

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #143 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 7:19am

Congrats EWQMinesweeper for first season win!!

I'm looking forward to participating in division 1 last time I made it into this division I did not able to play during that time. Sad

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #144 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 8:19am

Grats to EWQ  Smiley - but somehow it's sad that Stephan was beaten just one win away from drawing even with the all time record of 6 consecutive won seasons.  Cry

But for me there's something even more sad: I couldn't play all week long and started compeeting only yesterday evening. I worked myself down to 13.97 what would have done the job. But when I wanted to upload, the url didn't work. I figured out, that there must have been an error on downloading the new tournament info, cause the board was slightly different from the official T-board.
I redownloaded the board - but it was already 1:30 in the morning and I was to tired for a real fightback. I got down to 15.07 but that was all I could do...   Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #145 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 9:29am

Congratulations to EWQMinesweeper! First season win, then with great 57 points Shocked and 5 T wins, you well deserve it after this constant high-level performance. Of course, you could have attended another concert yesterday so that I could win T8 Wink.

I agree with Christoph that a 6th season win in a row would have been nice - but as in past, the December/January season wasn't my friend again. I could hardly play besides on Saturdays, and that isn't enough battling against the motivated youth.

Welcome Harryck in division 1 again. I see that you have already done your first div1 submission!
Will be an interesting season, as it's a really new mixture of players. In past seasons, mostly the same players appeared in div1. Compared to season 22, only Maruda and myself are in div1 of S40 as well. Caren, Christoph, Nikolaj, and Qetuth find theirselves in div2, and hexx, and Luca Vezzoni retired from participating in Ts.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #146 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 3:42pm

thank you very much for the nice words.

harryck, i'm also looking forward to competing with you in the same division Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #147 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 1:42pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

although i really like challenging tournament boards, think that the current 30*10/108 board can be solved and already got quite far, i recommend to change this week's board to some solvable settings. maybe 175 mines?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #148 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 3:24pm

I agree with EWQM. It's always a good indicator for boards that are too challenging if nobody uploads a time during the first 8 T hours.

I suggest 30x10/180. It's near to 175, and we had this board before.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #149 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 4:38pm

I didn't try the board. Maybe I'll have half an hour spare a little later today - then I'll maybe agree Grin

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #150 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 6:38pm

I gave up on the board for now, lol

Maybe it was accident? Previously the same board but 180 mines was played, the 0 and 8 are just switched this time...

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #151 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 7:50am

I've gotten over 75% complete twice in my first hour, but yeah, we'll be lucky to get 1 complete board between all of us in the week.

I'd like to see it changed to 140-150ish to make it finishable...180 mines would be a very different board

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #152 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:24pm

I'm a little disappointed that the board got changed - I only played for about 20 mins and twice got down to situations with only three 50-50 guesses left. (Both times more than 90 mines safed).
However, the new board is not of my favorit kind - so i guess I won't extend my lead this T  Cry

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #153 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 4:33pm

Yariv wrote: "I've changed it to 180. It was one of the random ones, so I guess impossible ones could come up occasionally unless I change the algorithm!"

Sorry for all who liked the 108 or preferred a 150 or sth.

Let's go, anyway!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #154 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 8:44pm

150 would have been really interesting and a nice challenge. but even with 180 mines there are already 5 or even more solving strategies that seem all about equally fast.

who else thinks that hexxing this board might be risky but could lead to very good times? 2 solvable rows at the start is unlikely but you could solve ~50% at the start.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #155 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 7:48pm

Hi Harryck,

congratulations to an awesome 2.29 in T5 Shocked Shocked. This is far lower than former all-time sub-3s on 6x6/20, done by Christoph and hexx.

As you seem to sub2.75 easily, do you have a video of a sub2.75 on current T board? I'm very curious if you play as fast as hexx did.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #156 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 11:52pm

Give me a little while and I'll make a vid. Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #157 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 10:25am

Hi Harryck,

I'm still curious of your general speed on this board. But now I experienced that low 2 second times are possible - at least if one gets a ridiculously easy board...

You imagine what I'm talking of, don't you Cheesy?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #158 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 1:10pm

congrats stephan Wink

IP Logged

Caren
YaBB Newbies

Reply #159 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 2:09am

I had a really easy board also, but am not fast enough:

1 1

which was just 3 clicks (the first row was 0 1 0 0 0 1).

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #160 - Mar 20th, 2011 at 9:09pm

Wow Stephan, very nice board and well played  Wink

I just played it like beginner, ignored columns and only solved rows. Results in very few games being solved but very fast times

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #161 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 8:23pm

am i missing something or why did S40 suddenly end on a wednesday?

also mm and nono pages were completely down today afternoon...

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #162 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 9:10pm

Hi EWQM.,

such a Shocked thing never happened before. I've already written to Yariv as I think relegations shouldn't be decided by a sudden end of T8 on Wednesday. But I don't know a) when Yariv will read his mails and b) whether he has a chance to re-open T8 and S40.

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #163 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:40am

Oh, so that's what happened! I'd been sitting here thinking "How have I not seen this board and it's Thursday already?"

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #164 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 1:48pm

Hi to everyone,

as you might already have noticed, the immediate end of S40/T8 on last week's Wednesay is fact now.

Here is Yariv's reply: "[...] I have no idea what happened: I don't know how the dates could have got mixed up like that, my only thought is that if the server went down (which I also didn't know about), they might have had to restore from backups or change the server dates.
Anyway, if I'd been faster I could possibly have extended the last season, but now the new season has started I suppose it would be unfair to other users. (I know it's pretty unfair anyway - but assuming the last tournament end date was listed as Wednesday when people got the info, I guess the only solution is to go along with that.)
[...] I have also extended the current tournament to end on Sunday, as normal. Sorry for the trouble! Yariv"

So, S41 has begun as it was announced in the emails. And T1 will be closed this sunday (sunday night in Eastern Asia, sunday morning in Central Europe).

So, for future Ts, just be aware which end data is announced in the weekly mail as well as in the game's window when you get the current T data. If anyone notices anything weird, please inform the community, so that we can ask Yariv to correct any mistake on the server.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #165 - Apr 23rd, 2011 at 4:53pm

after 64*5 (64.81, 64.43, 64.75 within 25 minutes today) i got a 57 in the last game i intended to play in this session - i would have played another 2 hours later if needed. Tongue

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #166 - May 1st, 2011 at 12:19pm

it's a nice board, but i think that hexx could have done a sub30 on this tournament Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #167 - May 29th, 2011 at 10:26am

Database seems to cause problems again Sad.
I've already mailed to Yariv - hopefully, he can fix the problems with S41, so that T8 can be played as planned, and promotions can be done afterwards.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #168 - May 29th, 2011 at 2:33pm

Yariv fixed the problems. Thanks!

IP Logged

Daniel
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #169 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:00am

If things continue the way they are, there could be 4 people within 2 points of second place in D2 going into the last tourney.  I'm hopping for a hexx style board next week.  Wink

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #170 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:51pm

5.84 on the 25x40 988 mine tournament - here's my board Smiley

Earlier today I also got 4.98 on the 990 mine version, and 3.90 on the 992 mine.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #171 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:42am

Well, well, I've no more time for sweeping this week. But probably I wouldn't get that 5 I needed for promoting anyway. Missing two Ts completely and not really playing a third one was too much of a deficit. Especially if only 6 players are active and everybody gets two extra points for free even in the bad weeks...
But that's not, what annoys me about this season (I didn't really attempt to promote). Really annoying are T5 and T6 which I both should have won but... well, Maruda and qqwref back in good shape... grats.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #172 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 1:09am

Great job Mike, board doesn't look anything extraordinary, you had the double blank at the end, but I've had boards with 2 sets of such, I've also seen a triple blank.  Looks like you winning third straight tournament from d2, probably never been done before.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #173 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:48am

Very good job, qqwref! 5.84 is the all-time record for 40x25/988 which is quite impressive on a board that has been played for the 6th time in Ts Cool.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #174 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 10:37am

congrats to nymike! winning 5 d3 tournaments in row and promoting into d2 with that, despite having missed the first 3 board is amazing! Cheesy

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #175 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 11:49pm

Stephan wrote on Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:48am:
Very good job, qqwref! 5.84 is the all-time record for 40x25/988 which is quite impressive on a board that has been played for the 6th time in Ts Cool.

Thanks Smiley And the other two times in that post also beat the tournament records for those boards, although they weren't played since tournaments 34 and 35, so it's not a completely fair contest.

NYMIKE wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 1:09am:
Looks like you winning third straight tournament from d2, probably never been done before.

Yeah - in fact, having two tournaments in a row won by someone not in D1 was only done once before (in season 39, by Harryck and me).

I looked some stuff up and here are the people who've won the most tournaments from below D1. Almost all of these wins were from D2.
- Harryck Repse won 5 times (S29 from D2, S31 from D4 Shocked, S38 from D3 Shocked, S39 twice from D2)
- qqwref won 4 times (S39 from D2, S42 three times from D2)
- Gabi won twice (S41 twice from D2)
- Gero Waelz won once (S10 from D2, first time this happened)
- Qetuth won once (S19 from D2)
- Christoph won once (S32 from D2)
- chessgod101 won once (S37 from D?, this was removed later)

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #176 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 12:37am

chessgod admitted that he had cheated.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #177 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 3:41am

The 12.40 on this week's board was a jump by almost a second - I had at least 6 13s, with a best time 13.35, before getting it. I was happy to get under 12.5 since that was my goal (2 squares per sec).

I uploaded the replay file here.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #178 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 3:12pm

@qqwref: Great time, this 12.40. I watched the replay, and from my point of view, it is not a really outstanding board thinking of the positions of the free squares. So, I admit that you are just much faster Shocked than myself. Congratulations! Btw: I got five 13s so far, but 13.40 is still far away from 12.40 Angry.

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #179 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 7:06am

this season sucks Angry

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #180 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Come on, Maruda, you won the last two seasons, just give the German players a little chance to make some points Wink. Your favourite boards are likely to come within this season, I guess.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #181 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 10:06pm

maruda: we're not even halfway through with the current season and you are only 4 points behind. ok, so far 2 boards were good for me and 2 for stephan. considering that, it's still a very open competition.

stephan: if we want to win a season, we shouldn't depend on maruda not liking the boards Wink

btw, i don't like the current board as well. already blasted several 11s

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #182 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 5:53am

ok, i´ll try to play more than 30 minutes Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #183 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 8:38am

@EWQM.: I can't agree that I don't like the board Wink. It's nice that there are two extremely low density boards within one season. And winning a season will depend for me on several things: getting many boards I'm good on (usually compliant with Maruda being not that good on these), having time enough to play, getting difficult boards not in the weeks where I'm on vacation. Last aspect failed this time again (T1), so my chance to win this season is already very low.

@Maruda: Just play your 30 minutes on Monday, upload your time so that we can see whether we have to sub-9 or to sub-8 Smiley.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #184 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 6:07pm

talking about having enough time to play: how much time do you spent on nonosweeper per week? do you play other levels as well to stay in shape?

last week i played an hour on sunday and 30min on monday, then 20min genius during the rest of the week. normally i spend 2-3 hours on the tournament and 30min on the standard levels.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #185 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 1:32pm

Tournaments: 1-4 hours a week (depends on free time on Sunday and Saturday and of time used for finishing one board). During the week, I usually don't play much as it is inefficient as long as I'm quite tired after work.
Standard levels: 10 minutes per month (only if I'm frustrated of T board) Smiley

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #186 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 5:28pm

stephan, couldn't you have gotten this sub9 a bit earlier? Tongue

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #187 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:14am

EWQM., I would have preferred that as well Wink. I tried hard on Saturday, but then, the 8.79 came as a surprise at a time when I didn't hope to get any sub-9.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #188 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 8:58pm

i just got a 14.43 on the current tournament board, S44/T6, 0.96s better than the current 1st place held by maruda. i thought i had hit the upload button but for some reason it didn't work.

the linked video shows the finished board and game statistics window. also you can see that instead of 14.43 the tournament window shows a 10s time. this seems to be a bug in the updated nono version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imh5Q989Bms

i really hope that this 14.43 can be added manually, since i've spent approximately 4 hours today trying to regain the lead.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #189 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 9:40pm

meh, just got a 15.15

EDIT: and facepalm@me for noting the bug in the new version while forgetting i could have played the replay in the video -.-

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #190 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 8:48am

wow, what a season. 2 stupid tournaments (20x20x20, 35x25x20), once i was out for a weekend (7x7x33 - Nikolaj´s daughter´s 1st birthday Smiley ) and finally that idiotic winter time today  Grin

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #191 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 9:04am

and the new 5*3/10 isn't stupid as well? Tongue took me 20min to just finish a board.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #192 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 4:58pm

5x3/10 is stupid Angry, indeed, as without brute-forcing, I don't think a time below 0.50 is possible. And I don't like brute-forcing at all, maybe my brain is too stupid for this method. Seems that I will stay at 0.60 using "normal" playing.

@Maruda: Extremely low density boards aren't stupid Wink, they are just boards that need fast and exact mouse movement (and maybe a little bit luck to get high numbers at the edges). Unfortunately, we often have boards where the absolute performance depends on lucky mine arrangements ;-(

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #193 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 5:25pm

@stephan: considering that there are only 3003 different boards, only brute-foring maes sense. i've played a bit more than an hour so far and already got a 0.06 and finished a 0.15 and a 0.29 before. if you don't play any more this week, this season is almost over before the last board Tongue

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #194 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 6:54pm

ooops!!!!
just played less than 3 minutes to get 0.03s Shocked
it was fun but i've no intention to play more Wink
cheers Cool

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #195 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 7:19pm

that is extremely lucky! even assuming that you played 179 seconds and played 4 boards a second, there's only a 36% success chance...i'm jealous Tongue

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #196 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:14am

So I do a sub 0.1, and finish no better than 3rd place in div 3  Sad

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #197 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:06pm

thats so crazy Undecided
how hard can this be!? Tongue, did 0.07s after a long 1m40s session ...
which means i succeeded twice in less than 5 minutes of playing Huh Huh Huh  SO SICK

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #198 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 9:50am

@EWQM.: I tried but didn't succeed. The grid I was hunting for occurred only once within about 45 minutes of playing. Seems that hexx had more luck than me...

So, assuming that you will submit a time for current board, congratulations for winning this season!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #199 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:14pm

@stephan: thanks!

this is what wrote to NYMike about the last board. he got such a board within 10 minutes and as written before i finished 3 boards in a bit more than an hour.

Quote:
hint for nono S44 T7: there are only 3003 different boards. keep the left mouse button pressed and move it along the top row, while pressing f2 whenever you are over the top left or top right corner. if you can play a board every second (this way you can easily play 2 per second), you have a 18% chance of winning a board within 10 minutes, 33% chance within 20min, 45% within 30min, 55% within 40min, 63% within 50min and 70% within 60min of playing.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #200 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:34pm

You should have posted this before. I didn't know that one can keep left mouse button pressed Embarrassed. So, with this tactics, I might have been successful. Just tested for a few minutes, it's a lot easier than pressing F2 and pressing mouse left and moving mouse immediately afterwards Cry. Nonetheless, I have eye problems to stare on the same point for several minutes. Hopefully, next brute-forcing board will take a long time to appear Smiley.

Btw, with your 33 on T8, you would have won the season even if I got a 0.05 in T7 Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #201 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:58pm

guess why i kept my strategy/observation secret Wink

this way i had many boards in which i could solve the first 3, sometimes even 4 squares in 0.04, 0.03, 0.01 and even 0.00 seconds for the first 4 squares. but since i had a hard time keeping the neccessary concentration up for more than a few minutes i stopped trying soon after my 0.06. if i remember correctly 0.05 is not possible?

although brute-force boards are very unfair as they give an advantage to those who have more time to play early into the week, trying to beat maruda's 0.09 was a nice challenge. i agree that i don't want such a board again anytime soon.

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #202 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 8:55am

In general I like brute force boards, and I'm really angry with myself that I didn't win this T. I got quite some 0.03 and 0.04 trys on 1-4-5 or similar boards. I had only about one hour of playing time all week and got only one 0-5-5 board. But on that board I was moving the mouse too fast and the square in the middle didn't open. It took me half a second to recognize that the board wasn't won and ended up with this 0.87.  Cry

However, the equipment is very central on such kind of boards. Windows usually forwards mouse-messages every 0.004 seconds to the application. Thus within a span of 0.03 a possible maximum of 7 MMs arrive at nonosweeper. To win the board in 0.03 you must create 5 Mouse-Move events with the flag LButtonPressed on 5 different squares - so you may hit only 2 squares twice and you must ensure not being to fast such that you miss a square.
There is software that allow to adjust the frequence with which the mouse is checked. Some drivers for fancy mouses and (I think) some ego-shooters include such features. (But it also depends on the controler of the mouse.) However, if you reduce the time between the MMs to 0.002 you have 14 or with some luck and depending on the timer-handling 15 chances to hit the 5 squares within 0.03, which makes a huge difference. With an even higher frequence a 0.01  would be thinkable.
However, I didn't even search for better mouse drivers. It would have reduced my playing time this week even further, and I play only for the fun of playing   Smiley

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #203 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:21pm

two seasons with stupid tournaments in a row? Undecided

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #204 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:41am

two seasons with wonderful boards in a row!

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #205 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:45am

However, the new version of nono has a problem with such boards. If there is only one number number in every line, the window shrinks so much that the smiley is almost a line that's pretty nasty to hit... I can't remember the old version doing that on a 5-wide board.
Do you know any trick against that?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #206 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:54am

@Christoph: This error is really bad. If you play with classic skin and smallest size, on current T board, you can't see any smiley on grids with only one number on the right edge.
Old version didn't have that problem. The only trick I know is to change the square size to medium size.
I will write to Yariv, might be a unwished bug.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #207 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 12:04pm

it has already cost me two low 1.x times and since i changed to medium size i didn't get another similary easy board -.-

meh, not all boards can be as nice as S44T8. have to play some more then

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #208 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:28am

Fyi: Yariv has released a new version 2.14 which avoids the smiley to disappear on small boards with small board sizes.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #209 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 7:02am

Sorry, I felt like playing this board a bit just now, and after maybe 20 minutes I got a 4.5ish and then a 4.09 :p

I haven't been playing nono so much lately because often I feel like I don't have the skill to compete or the patience to try over and over. It's nice when good luck happens, though.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #210 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:42pm

stephan: do i need to be worried that you might try getting a sub30 as well?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #211 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 3:20pm

@EWQM.: I would say yes Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #212 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 5:03pm

16:53 - argh! there goes my 1st place.
17:24 - 29.04, 0.02s too slow
17:40 - low 28 but had forgotten a square right at the start
17:59 - 28.79! muahahahaha!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #213 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Hm, I shouldn't have stopped playing after my 29. But as I doubt whether I would have reached a 28, I'm quite satisfied with #2 as well. Congratulations to another T win.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #214 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 9:50pm

thanks. and i can assure you that if you had gotten a 28 i would have kept playing until a better 28 or even a 27. Wink

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #215 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 1:26pm

quite a good result with a slight concussion. have to go vomit...

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #216 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 1:23pm

these are your kind of tournament, Maruda.
I remember of this.  Wink

But I'm trying to go beyond

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #217 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 7:39pm

finally got a grip on how to solve this board.

@luca: i love all boards, except for very small boards and extremely low or high density. normally i'd be playing a whole lot more, but studying keeps me busy and i'm also on a nice roll in minesweeper. well, considering the current d1 ranking i guess i can settle for 2nd, as long as i gain some seconds on stephan Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #218 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 1:06pm

hard to believe that i finally beat maruda's 252.03. had lost 249s with 3 mines left, 237s with 11 mines left, 230s with 11 mines left, 248 with 2 mines left, something at 160s with less than 100 mines left. definetely spent way more time than i wanted on this board.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #219 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 9:28pm

...aaaand here comes Hexx with a 242.59.  Shocked

I'm very unhappy with my time on this board but I'm not trying more because I know I can't beat Hexx :p

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #220 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 11:06am

well, i've just made 15.45s in current T in a board where the difficult task was in fact "not to make sub-16s"!!!! Smiley
finished only that game in a 15m session or so, but i'm curious ... Roll Eyes
will be good enough to win S45T6!? Huh

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #221 - Dec 25th, 2011 at 11:44am

depends on what time stephan puts up. like last week my main focus is on d1 times.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #222 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 1:21pm

Stephan is on Christmas vacation, so it's quite unlikely that he will put in a low time...

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #223 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 6:31pm

well, I try not to bother you guys if possible  Undecided
but i insist in a low time....14.53s Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #224 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 4:01pm

glad we finally have a new board. can't help the feeling that without the forced break i (we) would be trying for a sub40 on this board. well, at least i'm consistently fast enough to get an acceptable time regardless of with which strategy i solve the board.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #225 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 12:27am

Lol. After less than one minute of playing, I came across a board with a 5 in the top row and a 3 in the row below it and got a nice 0.98.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #226 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 3:53pm

Hi T players,

it seems that after the server problems, the T week ends one day later than before, i.e. on Monday morning in Europe. What are your opinions? Should we shorten one T to get back in the former cycle of Ts ending on Sunday morning in Europe?

I would prefer this...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #227 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 4:02pm

i actually like the tournaments ending on monday morning. having two days in a row to play is imo nuch nicer that getting to play on the first and the last day of a tournament.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #228 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 5:40pm

@EWQM.: Your statement is true. But for persons which are absent on one week-end, it is necessary that they find the time to play on a weekday. This might be different for some persons (like myself Wink).

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #229 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 4:17pm

I prefer the old style.

IP Logged

Caren
YaBB Newbies

Reply #230 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 10:03pm

I like the old way better too.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #231 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 5:05pm

is it just me having much less time to play or has d1 gotten much tougher? btw, i still haven't maxed out on the current board.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #232 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 10:14am

I think it's a lot tougher in current div1. Might be the first time in history where 4 of 8 div1 players are T season winners.
And have a look at history:
Current div1 players: 206 T wins, 247 rank #2, 238 rank #3 Shocked.
All other former div1 players: 130 T wins, 89 rank #2, 98 rank #3 (of them hexx with 109-47-13 Embarrassed).
I.e. a very high percentage of top3 T ranks has been achieved by current div1 players, which results in a tight race for good ranks.

Luca returned to div1, Lutz is constantly fast, Gabi is hard to beat especially on larger boards, and Manuel and Vladimir are tough rivals on smaller boards. So, for myself, this means that I must play a lot (more than I should) to get an acceptable rank.

P.S. This week, sunday helped a lot to avoid finishing T2 in #6 or #7 Wink. But I still prefer the old style. By now, inofficial poll result is 3:1. Any other opinions to this issue?

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #233 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 5:21pm

in my opinion the old style was better. when you don´t have enough time to play during a week and then you go out for a weekend, you have no chance to score a good time

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #234 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:17pm

too less big boards  Sad

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #235 - May 14th, 2012 at 4:16pm

Luca wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:17pm:
too less big boards  Sad

This season 6 boards end in less than 10 sec
1 in less than 20 sec..

too less variability.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #236 - May 15th, 2012 at 6:45pm

Hi Luca,

I agree that it's too less variability. Might be a setting in Yariv's routine how to define T boards.
Rule was:
The pool of boards has been put into five categories:
1) Big boards
2) Small boards
3) Long rectangles
4) Low mine density
5) Other
Each season will contain 1 board from each category (=5 boards), 1 board from a random category and 2 randomly generated boards.

If this rule is still valid, at least cat. 2 generates a big board. If this would be unluckily something like 40x25/990, you get a low time for this one as well. But expert-style boards would also be possible.

The category "Other" was originally filled mainly with mid-size boards and odd squares per row and/or column. Several of these need at least 20 seconds or more.

--

I'm indifferent indeed in the question whether we need more big boards. The problem is that the best players on big boards will win each fight for ranks in season's total when two players having identical sum of points. So, best would be if every board has nearly same time (or at least same gap between #1 and #8)? Don't know...

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #237 - May 15th, 2012 at 9:17pm

Thanks Stephan for the answer.  Smiley

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #238 - May 16th, 2012 at 12:42am

What display size do you use for this board? Obviously the smaller size is optimal, however it doesnt display properly with the yellow face being very thin, and I end up missing it at the end, so currently I'm playing with medium display.  I would love to get a sub 2 on this board.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #239 - May 18th, 2012 at 5:03pm

Hi NYMike, a solution could be that you update the version. The tiny smiley face was a bug in v2.0, but Yariv corrected that in v2.02 I think.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #240 - May 22nd, 2012 at 7:43pm

stephan, on which side are you? Tongue jk, i'm confident that my top5 d1 streak will last for at least one more week.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #241 - May 22nd, 2012 at 9:15pm

I'm only on my side, of course Grin. Would have been happy to win at least one T in this season. But as I won't be able to play between Thu and Mon, I'm likely to stay at 7.81, so you have lots of chances to beat me (and Harryck as well, perhaps).

But I agree that normally, you should stay in top5 even with 8.46 - only Nikolaj and Maruda have better historical bests on this board. But be aware of Luca. His best of 9.33 is from 2007, and he should have high motivation as it is a big board Wink.

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #242 - May 27th, 2012 at 10:20pm

Stephan wrote on May 22nd, 2012 at 9:15pm:
...but be aware of Luca. His best of 9.33 is from 2007, and he should have high motivation as it is a big board Wink.

This is a physical big board but the time needed to finish it is less than 10 sec once again.  Sad

By the way, even with "important" efforts, I can't approach my 2007 results.
You, Harrick and EWQ are from another planet.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #243 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:30am

Harryck and EWQM. are from another planet for me on most grids either. Thank you guys for giving me the opportunity to win T1 Wink.

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #244 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:58am

Congratulations Stephan.
But now we should have some boards similar to expert and genius level.
Probably there would be more competition. At least with Maruda..
Please!  Cheesy

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #245 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:09pm

and yet another stupidly simple level :/ i'd like more >15s boards and a nice >100s challenge would be nice as well.

congrats to stephan. even if i had had as much time to play as usual, i can't imagine myself finising t1 in under 19s like you did.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #246 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 3:27am

Yes, I agree there should be more challenges boards. Boards like these is hardly a measure of skill. Just fast clicking. Maybe Yariv should allow for more big strategy boards. Congrats on your time on the last board Stephan.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 7:16am by Harryck Repse »  

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #247 - Jun 12th, 2012 at 6:05pm

we asked for more challenging boards and there we go. (un)fortunately the first board i completed might have already been the last one this week.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #248 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:13pm

what a stupid board

everything that takes less than 10s to complete shouldn't be considered for tournaments anymore!

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #249 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 5:30am

TBDMfan wrote on Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:13pm:
what a stupid board

everything that takes less than 10s to complete shouldn't be considered for tournaments anymore!

Yes,  Iagree. I play for a few hours and get board with a 2 3 in the top row it happened to be 5 empty square in a row. Anyone can get fast time if they find board like this

Easy board >10 seconds should show up, but not all the time. There needs to be much more board of moderate and high difficulty. Maybe once per tournament or even less.

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #250 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 9:51am

In my opinion there should be more 40 sec tournaments similar to expert or genius levels that occupy half of the normal ranking.
I remember that the first seasons worked in that way.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #251 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 8:37pm

Hi guys,

I've written a mail to Yariv, pointing out the current situation in the forum about the tournament board choices.

Don't know what he thinks about this, but I suggested to change the T board choice as follows:

--- quote ---
My suggestion for the eight T boards within one season (order during season randomly, of course):
1. Big board with extremely high mine density >95% (e.g. 40x25/988 mines)
2. Large medium board with medium-high density 50-80% (e.g. similar to expert style, but a little bit easier to make it solvable for everyone competing in tournaments)
3. Medium board, both sides 8, 10, 12 or 15, with medium-high density 50-80% (e.g. similar to intermediate style)
4. Long rectangles (proportions greater than 4:1 or 1:4) with high density 66-85% (e.g. 6x25/115 mines)
5. Big board, both sides 15+, with low density <10% (e.g. 20x20/20)
6. Small board, but no parameter below 5 (minimum would be 5x5/5)
7. Any board with odd rows and odd columns (e.g. 11x7 or 15x13), medium density 50-75%
8. Any board out of category 1 to 7.
--- quote ---

Hope, you feel well with my proposals. We would definitely have more boards - with categories 2, 3, 4, 7, and partly 8, a quite guaranteed half of tournaments - that need 10-40 seconds. Category 2 would also cover boards in "easy genius" style that require playing times between 100 and 400 seconds.

@EWQM.: I refused to suggest banning sub-10s boards completely. These are a special category that require different skills than e.g. intermediate or expert style boards, and not all of them are pure luck.

But let's see what Yariv will decide to do.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #252 - Jul 9th, 2012 at 11:39pm

a step into the right direction. maybe 8 could be a really tough board, like 50% mines density with >200 squares

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #253 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 2:37am

I hold my first nono record, I made the most d2 appearances without ever getting to d1, I now have played 66 weeks in d2, Richard had 65, Rincewind 53, Daniel and HMP 47, my best finish in d2 is 4th, so I need like 8 of you to quit so I have a chance lol.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #254 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:23pm

well done mike

sorry @ fellow d1 players. the 5 was an insanely easy board.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #255 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 4:10am

3.77 on a crazy easy board. paniced from seeing how easy it was and stumbled through

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #256 - Aug 9th, 2012 at 11:12pm

harryck: do you plan to show us the board?

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #257 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 7:13pm

Did not save it. 7 rows had mines and they were all adjacent, right column was 1-5 top row was 1-3 and left column was 1. Rest of rows were solvable without looking at columns

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #258 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:13pm

Hi Nono T players,

finally got response from Yariv - he changed the Nonosweeper tournament database according to my proposal (and EWQM.'s suggestion).

Starting with the next season, we will have eight categories. Out of each category, exactly one board will be played. So, a mixture between various types of boards will be guaranteed. The order of the categories will be random.

The categories are described by several parameters as follows:
<will be posted in the next post>

Within a category, there is a 50/50 chance which kind of board is played:
a) The algorithm chooses one of the predefined boards - per category, I defined between about 15 boards (including existing boards we had before).
b) The algorithm creates a random one restricted by the parameters given for the chosen category.

We both hope that this will work fine Smiley and will give us more fun and more surprises in playing tournaments.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #259 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:21pm

Categories:
cat. description xsize ysize squares density proportions x:y
A Big board with extremely high mine density >90%
(e.g. 40x25/988 mines)
any any >=300 >90% any
B Big board, both sides 10+, min. 144 squares,
with low density <15%
(e.g. 20x20/20)
10+ 10+ >=144 <=15% any
C Any board with unusal rows and columns (e.g. 11x7 or 15x13),
min/max rows/columns 7-23,
medium density 40-75%
7 to 23,
w/o 10/15/20
7 to 23,
w/o 10/15/20
any 40-75% any
D Large medium board with medium-high density 44-90%
(e.g. similar to expert style, but a little bit easier
to make it solvable for everyone competing in tournaments)
any any 150-300 44-90% <3
E Medium board, both sides 8, 10, 12 or 15,
with medium-high density 30-80%
(e.g. similar to intermediate style)
8, 10,
12, or 15
8, 10,
12, or 15
any 30-80% any
F Long rectangles (proportions greater than 3:1 or 1:3)
with medium/high density 25-90% (e.g. 6x25/115 mines)
any any >=100 25-90% >=3
G Tough board,
medium density 45-80% with >200 squares
any any >200 45-80% any
H Small board (max. side 10, max. 80 squares),
but no parameter below 5 (minimum would be 5x5/5)
5 to 10 5 to 10 <=80 any any

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #260 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 4:30pm

Another side info: According to the best times received on previous T boards, here is some characterisation of the categories considering assumed T winner times:
  • cat. A: between 3.5 and 20 seconds
  • cat. B: between 1.5 and 10 seconds (some exceptions up to 120 s possible)
  • cat. C: between 2 and 25 seconds
  • cat. D: between 7 and 90 seconds
  • cat. E: between 9 and 40 seconds
  • cat. F: between 11 and 90 seconds
  • cat. G: between 45 and 350 seconds
  • cat. H: between 1 and 5 seconds

This means that it would be a unlikely coincidence if there are again more than 2 sub-5 and more than 4 sub-10 winner times in a season. Hope, you like it.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #261 - Aug 28th, 2012 at 11:38pm

good news, stephan.

about the current board: c'mon guys. i know from the lst time we had this board, that you can sub25. i'm worried that you are holding your scores. Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #262 - Sep 10th, 2012 at 10:14pm

what a nice board to finish a season. Cheesy i predict sub130 times. Tongue

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #263 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 10:37pm

Interesting board. It has been a long time since I played a tournament board this much. I think low 40s are definitely possible.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #264 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:11pm

pretty sure that sub45 is possible. it's tough finding the right balance skipping boards, taking risks and solving boards.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #265 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:06am

This season boards are tough

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #266 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 2:09pm

the boards so far may have been tough, but i find more challenging boards quite enjoyable.

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #267 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 1:02am

The Div 1 players are amazing. I have looked at some videos and have learned about choosing the non bombs.
But how do you do you guys do it so quickly?

I didn't know about the F2. What is the best way to learn more tactics? Should I look at topics in this forum?

Thanks,
Jocelyn

TBDMfan wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:14pm:
@stephan: thanks!

this is what wrote to NYMike about the last board. he got such a board within 10 minutes and as written before i finished 3 boards in a bit more than an hour.

Quote:
hint for nono S44 T7: there are only 3003 different boards. keep the left mouse button pressed and move it along the top row, while pressing f2 whenever you are over the top left or top right corner. if you can play a board every second (this way you can easily play 2 per second), you have a 18% chance of winning a board within 10 minutes, 33% chance within 20min, 45% within 30min, 55% within 40min, 63% within 50min and 70% within 60min of playing.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #268 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:32am

hello jos,

the trick in the quote can only be applied to very few boards and doesn't help at all with any other board.

there are a few general strategies though.

normal solving: solve like you would solve expert or genius level. hit f2 until an edge column or row of the board is solvable. use flags and clear safe squares. this is the easiest strategy but it is not very fast. it's best on big boards with medium mine density.

nf: hit f2 until an edge column or row is solvable but only clear the safe squares. it is fast on all boards that have fewer safe squares than mines. on big boards with medium mine density it might become a bit too difficult and other strategies might become faster.

blue face: once the number of of flagged mines is the same as the number of mines hidden in the board, the yellow face turns blue and a left click on it ends the board. if all mines are correctly flagged, the game is won, else lost. it is fast on all boards with a low mine density.

advanced nf - hexx-strategy: look through hexx' posts in this forum. he explained it very well in one of his posts. it's good on small to medium sized nf boards.

half-hexx: same as hexx-strategy but you only solve the opposite columns or rows at the start and then continue with rows or respectively columns. it is applicable to more boards than hexx-strategy.

advanced blue face: on some boards normal playing can't be beaten by other strategies, yet it can be optimized. once 90% of the board is solve, only flag the remaining mines. it can save a few seconds.

the key to fast times is knowing these strategies and finding the fastest for a specific board. often enough a few are equally fast and it becomes a matter of personal preference. this week normal solving, nf and blue face are about equally fast. that is, if you can execute all startegies equally well.

the best way to imrove is, obviously, to play a whole lot. Wink

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #269 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 2:31am

EWQ,

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

jos

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #270 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 2:45am

It appears that next season there will only be two divisions in nonosweeper, I remember when nono was like this http://www.nonosweeper.com/cgi-bin/pointsranking.cgi?season=31
12 players posted times in division 4, and monsters like Harryck and Gero were in division 4 , appears game is dying.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #271 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 11:35am

Hi NYMike, unfortunately you seem to be right. It would be the first time that we have only two divisions left since tournaments with divisions started 7.5 years ago.

I hoped that well-known player such as hexx, Luca V., Qetuth, Dragon, Peter, Rincewind, Richard and others might return after we changed the tournament mode to include more challenging boards. This is obviously not the case so far...

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #272 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 2:38pm

I have been playing Nonosweeper since 2007, maybe before. I didn't notice there were tournaments until last year.

Maybe if you mention the tournaments on the home page or when they upload their scores, more will join.

You can also mention how challenging they are now, to get more interest.

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #273 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 6:17pm

It is too bad to see this happen to Nonosweeper. Maybe Yariv could send out a mass email to registered nonosweeper users about tournament changes? Or is this is too intrusive?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #274 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 8:03pm

could we get rid of boards like T7 and T8 as well, please? the first 6 boards of the season were great, the last 2 aren't good, since getting good times relies too much on getting an easy board.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #275 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 8:23am

I'm not sure how I feel about T7, but as for T8, I can tell you this: the difference between 12s and 16s is not just an easy board. You do need a good board to get a good time, sure, but that's true for every board type I've played. Maybe this board was a bit big for its type, but it's still a good type to have in the rotation.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #276 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 9:28pm

@EWQM.: I don't prefer getting rid of every easy and/or quick board. Boards like S51/T2 show that we have very low number of submissions. We would risk losing even division 2. So, I prefer keeping the rotation as it is now - we'll have to check anyway if it's too difficult (or too time-consuming for those who aren't pupils or students any more, unfortunately Grin).

And I agree with qqwref: Getting a good board is necessary on most grids. We won't be able to avoid this completely.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #277 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 5:40am

I know im in a minority, but I prefer the boards we had up until last season, its hard for me to place when I can only solve 5 boards a season.

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #278 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 6:02am

I am also concerned with the new boards, that less players can participate.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #279 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 2:24am

jos wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 6:02am:
I am also concerned with the new boards, that less players can participate.

To be honest the number of participants began to decline long before we went to hard boards, I'm only complaining cause I'm terrible on any large size board, or any large low density board.
The reason the number of players is dwindling is that many of the players here are in their 30's with families and just have no time to play, or simply lose interest.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #280 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:05pm

i suppose everyone will agree with me that the current board (26x20, 249 mines) is close to impossible to complete. my best approach so far had 120 cleared mines. after 3 hours trying i now give up. can we please get a board that is more likely to be solvable?

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #281 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 2:59am

It is great to see more people playing. Yes. I got to about 60 mines left and ran out of time, but does seem impossible.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #282 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 3:26am

This is an extremely hard board. Congrats to Harryck for his 8 points but I would really prefer not having boards like this pop up in the future.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #283 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 9:02am

hm, i was expecting more people to raise their voices for a new board. the last time we had such a 'difficult' board, yariv provided us with a new, slightly easier one.

looks like i have to finish a board now. closest i've got so far was 76 mines left. there goes my weekend...:p

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #284 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:05pm

this really sucks! died on a 50-50 guess ewith 3 mines in 6 squares left. lost at 514s.

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #285 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 3:05am

EWQ, you did it. Congrats to you 3. I have tried too many times. I will give up now.

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #286 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:59am

Damn! I've solved this board! 1642 sec, but I really didn't know that time over 999 is not counted!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #287 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 11:22am

Congratulations to those who invested so much time to finish the last board and as well managed to finish in less than 1000 seconds. I agree that this was too difficult as only four players were listed in the ranking. Will try to check with Yariv that the generators won't produce such difficult boards.

@EWQM.: Didn't check the forum lately, so couldn't raise my hand for an easier board.

IP Logged

Vladimir_Orlov
YaBB Newbies

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reply #288 - Dec 24th, 2012 at 3:05pm

What do you think about increasing timer by one digit?

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #289 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 5:51am

This has been a very chaotic season in division 2.  We now have enough players for 3 divisions next season, even though 3 of 16 players have not recorded a single point.  Sam Haynes with his 2 participations will have enough points to qualify for d2 next season.  If Daniel chooses he will likely do the same.  Gracebalma had his first ever d2 apearance in 36 seasons, if enough of better players quit I plan to stick around to get a d1 appearance in my profile Grin.  I will likely finish the season in 5th place in d2 despite only 6 participations, one of which did not yield me points.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #290 - Jan 2nd, 2013 at 5:48pm

Happy New Year to all players of Nonosweeper!

@Vladimir: Yariv says that increasing timer by one digit would need changes at the software. He hopefully will find time to deal with this at the next update. But for the near future, 999 will be the end. Sorry.

@all who found S51/T6 (26x20/249) to be too difficult: I suggested a "difficulty index" to Yariv. This index will us prevent from getting boards which are nearly unsolvable. Background: Unsolvable boards were used to have a huge amount of squares and a medium density and a nearly quadratic grid.
Yariv has already implemented the new restriction. I hope that the category G board in next season will be solved by much more players than S51/T6.

@NYMike: I appreciate that Yariv's mail about more challenging tournaments led at least some retired players to come back so that we get division 3 again Smiley. And hopefully, by splitting div2 and div3, it will be enough competition to keep players playing.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #291 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 6:38pm

your season, harryck. my last exam this semester is on the 2nd last day of this season.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #292 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 4:51pm

congrats on winning your first tournament, lutz. well deserved after 23 seasons of playing.

IP Logged

Lutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #293 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:47pm

Wow, 23 seasons already ... quite a long time to finally win a tournament. So I guess you are right, thanks. Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #294 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:07pm

Hi Lutz,

congratulations for your first official T win! Indeed, it's already your second rank #1 in division 1. But you might remember, in S49/T8, Gabi submitted a better time but was in div2 at that time Sad.

And Germany goes ahead: With now 5 tournament winners, we are quite far away from CZE (3) and AUT (2). Cool

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #295 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:30am

Stephan wrote on Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:07pm:
Hi Lutz,

congratulations for your first official T win! Indeed, it's already your second rank #1 in division 1. But you might remember, in S49/T8, Gabi submitted a better time but was in div2 at that time Sad.

Germany has 6 winners, Stephan, Fritz, Manuel, Gero, Roland and Lutz. 
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2013 at 1:51pm by Stephan »  

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #296 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 1:52pm

@NYMike: You're right. I've only counted division seasons (4 ff.) Sad.

IP Logged

jos
YaBB Newbies

Houston, TX, USA
Reply #297 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 3:08am

Hi! I will be in Dubai, India, Philippines for 6 weeks. Have fun in the next season!

Jocelyn

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #298 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:01pm

how far can you go harryck? sub28? i'd really like to play more, but i have exams on saturday and monday. i should learn and not play. :/

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #299 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 9:15pm

Sorry, I accidentally deleted one correct post while deleting hundreds of wrong posts. qqwref, was it yours?
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2013 at 7:41pm by Stephan »  

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #300 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 6:48pm

wow! this 30*15/55 is really challenging. took me probably over an hour just to finish a single game.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #301 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:29pm

I dunno, maybe I had a post here that was deleted. It's hard to remember.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #302 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 10:31pm

i find this season's tournament boards have been very balanced and were a lot of fun to play. good job, yariv Wink

IP Logged

Maruda

Havirov, Czech republic
Reply #303 - Jun 24th, 2013 at 7:48am

what did you say? Grin

IP Logged

Caren
YaBB Newbies

Reply #304 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 12:07am

Can we get a new board for season 55, tournament 1?  No one has completed it yet.

IP Logged

qqwref
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #305 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 1:39am

34x23 with 102 mines? Is this even possible?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #306 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 12:18pm

Hi all, I've sent an email to Yariv. Hopefully, he will read it soon and change the current board.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #307 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Hi again. The current board has been changed to 34x23/40. This should be solvable, definitely. And Yariv extended this board's deadline by one week (07/07/13). Good luck!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #308 - Jun 26th, 2013 at 6:44pm

thanks stefan and yariv. Smiley this one is definitely solvable although it still isn't all that easy.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #309 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 10:57am

@EWQM.: No problem. Seems that you like the board Smiley.

Btw, thanks to Harryck for not submitting a time in S54/T8. I was on vacation and couldn't play, but without Harryck submitting a time as well, I managed to win a season despite of only seven submissions. And, I managed to win again a season - at the age of 36, which might be the highest age of a season winner?!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #310 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 9:14pm

Stephan wrote on Jun 27th, 2013 at 10:57am:
@EWQM.: No problem. Seems that you like the board Smiley.

Btw, thanks to Harryck for not submitting a time in S54/T8. I was on vacation and couldn't play, but without Harryck submitting a time as well, I managed to win a season despite of only seven submissions. And, I managed to win again a season - at the age of 36, which might be the highest age of a season winner?!

oh come on, lutz an dstephan...admittedly my sub50 took no more than 15min and sub30 should be possible for several div1 players. but as much as i like challenging board like this one, i simply don't have the time to play more.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #311 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:20pm

spent another 15min on this board. got a 41 and a 35.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #312 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 5:27pm

@EWQM.: As this tournament will stay for another 7 days (for those who might have missed the reset), everyone should have the chance for a good time. Sub30 will be hard for me, at least, but not impossible, of course.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #313 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 8:38pm

hint: there are roughly 1 trillion different possible boards (50 choose 14). there are roughly 23 billion different boards with a 10 in the top row. chances for a board with a 10 in th etop row are about 1 in 40-41. a good strategy might be to only play such boards. play nf and solve the remaining columns. most of them should be easily solvable, 1-2, 2-1, 1-1 being the only cases that require you to look closer. in these cases i simply guess.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #314 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 5:52pm

whee  Cheesy, s56t4 is so much fun. when i saw 46% mine-density i feared it would be awfully difficult to finish a single board. after a few tries it seems a tad easier than genius level.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #315 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 6:49pm

Hey EWQM., would have been a gentle thing if you hadn't beaten my time in S56/T8 finally Sad Wink. Congratulations for winning this season anyway, of course.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #316 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 9:03pm

thanks stephan. i'm sorry that you didn't have much time to beat my 7.42. how else am i supposed to catch up on you and maruda in terms of tournament wins and first places in div1 though? Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #317 - Oct 28th, 2013 at 7:28pm

There is no need to catch up Wink, at least not as long as I couldn't catch hexx in terms of ranks #1 in div1. And this might still take a long time Sad

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #318 - Oct 29th, 2013 at 10:21pm

Stephan wrote on Oct 28th, 2013 at 7:28pm:
There is no need to catch up Wink, at least not as long as I couldn't catch hexx in terms of ranks #1 in div1. And this might still take a long time Sad

i'll do my best to make it take a very long time Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #319 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 9:06pm

about last week's tournament: congratulations to nymike on his first place in division 2. may many more first places in d2 and eventually some participatons in d1 follow.

about this week's board: it took me less than 3 hours to finish a board. the one i completed required only a single 50-50 guess with just 6 squares left.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #320 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:15pm

Congrats to Lutz, EWQM. and Vladimir - the only ones who managed to finish this awfully tough board with 36x11/175. I was far away from finishing a single one, even if I tried hard. Didn't succeed further than 70% (and misclicked there Sad ).

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #321 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 12:23pm

congrats stephan. by any chance, could it be that you started holding back your fastest time until sunday afternoon? every time you beat me this season, it happened with a game posted on a sunday.  Tongue

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #322 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 7:17pm

@EWQM.: It might look like this. But I played the game right on Sunday evening. These days, Sunday afternoon or early evening is one of the small times where I play, that's why I sometimes can achieve a better score at that time.

Last week, it was big luck. My game was played at 18:44, after re-starting for ~2 minutes.

By the way, I never would hold back a time. Assume I have a 9.79, and keep it back. You also play a 9.79, upload it, and I'll be second with a tied score only due to late upload. Would be a very unhappy situation.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #323 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 6:19pm

and it happens once again Smiley congrats, stephan

sucks for me that i didn't manage to complete any of the 3 or 4 boards that could have been a sub10.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #324 - Dec 8th, 2013 at 10:48pm

Stephan wrote on Nov 28th, 2013 at 7:17pm:
I never would hold back a time. Assume I have a 9.79, and keep it back. You also play a 9.79, upload it, and I'll be second with a tied score only due to late upload. Would be a very unhappy situation.

i got this 6.42 on friday evening, a bit after posting my 6.59. i'm lucky that it's 0.01s faster than your time.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #325 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 7:20am

You're lucky in two ways. Not even the minimal difference, but also the situation that I was on vacation and couldn't play on Sunday afternoon. But congratulations anyway Wink.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #326 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 4:07pm

welcome back, qetuth. Smiley

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #327 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:25pm

Hi! I was setting up shortcuts and stuff on a new windows install and thought, why not?

I picked an interesting month to click the tournament button again......

Just mis-clicked at 95.56% complete on S56T8, looking at the rest of the board no guesses needed to complete....oh well......it would have been sub-300 too

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #328 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 1:44pm

my 304s success on s58t8 had a 50-50 guess with 3 mines left among the last 6 squares. i did make a few guesses in the beginning of the game. not going to play this board again.

interesting fact: s58t8 is only the second tournament ever to have a height over 25, the maximum height in custom mode. the other such board was s52t1 with 12x30 and 14 mines.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #329 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:57pm

Hi all.

Current T with 29x27/100 seems to be hardly solvable. Should I ask Yariv to change it to 30 mines (same size)? Closure should then be one week later than originally scheduled.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #330 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:35am

good idea but maybe make it 29 or 27 mines to match the board dimensions Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #331 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 10:46am

I had written to Yariv, but he didn't reply. So, unfortunately, we have the first tournament in history which was active for a week and was closed without having any submission.

Let's continue with T7 now.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #332 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 3:23pm

it seems like we still get to play s59t6

thanks a lot, yariv (and stephan)

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #333 - May 11th, 2014 at 9:02pm

congratulations on your 2nd place in s60t4, gene!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #334 - Jul 27th, 2014 at 6:35pm

Hi EWQM., thank you for not beating my Saturday time again in the last evening/night of T7. This time, I didn't stop after my 5.18, and got a 5.16 and later the nice 4.72. Would you have stopped at 5.17 with my time being 5.16 Wink Huh?!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #335 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:31am

hey stephan, i got that 5.17 on an easy board and this was not my favourite kind of level. after getting this 5.17 my decision was already set to stop playing. 4.72 is very impressive. congrats on beating hexx on the overall divisions ranking.

one question about the current board: looking at previous boards like s18/t7 (30 x 10, 259 Mines, 86.3%, 41 squares in <20 seconds), s25/t8 (25 x 15, 314 Mines, 83.7%, 61 squares in <35s) and s47/t5 (25 x 10, 206 Mines, 82.4%, 44 squares in <20s), i would estimate that with 90.7% mines the 72 squares can be solved in under 65 seconds. is the current board more difficult than what its dimensions make it look like?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #336 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:42am

Thank you Smiley!

About the current board: The other boards you mentioned are much more rectangular ones, at least two of them, while the current one is nearly quadratic. This generates longer mouse tracks to catch all mine-free squares, and an 31x25 grid makes it more difficult to get easy patterns, I think. But sub100 should be possible, I hope. The calculation is easy: If you are able to find one square to click per second, you can aim a 72 Cool.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #337 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 6:32pm

Okay, I need to correct my opinion: EWQM., you are right! The board can be solved in under 65 seconds if you get a good board. With good shape of concentration, sub-70 was possible.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #338 - Aug 2nd, 2014 at 6:22pm

still no sub55 times?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #339 - Aug 3rd, 2014 at 7:34am

I was away on Saturday, so I didn't have the chance to search for my limit on this board. But 52 is awesome, impressive job!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #340 - Aug 9th, 2014 at 12:15am

some random things after season 61:

did you know that:
stephan has finished 1st in division 1 109 times just like hexx has?
stephan has won 104 tournaments and hexx has won 113?
stephan has finished 2nd more often than hexx, which places him first in his overall division rankings? (congrats on that)
i have won 14 seasons, one more than stephan? (can't let you become 1st in all statistics Wink)

and most importantly:
S62/T6 will be the 500th nonosweeper tournament?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #341 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 9:56pm

seeing that after almost 3 days no time has been posted, i suppose we all agree that the current board, s62t8, 39x9/126, is pretty much unplayable. i played around with the number of mines and to my surprise that even 50 mines was still too many to finish a board within a decent amount of time. 40 mines however mean interesting and challenging board. i still had to guess a few times but actually managed to solve a board within about 20 minutes of playing.

therefore i suggest to contact yariv and ask him to set the number of mines to 40 (or 36, which would be just above 10% mine density) while also extending t8 by a week.

what do you think about this? stephan, would you mind messaging yariv? he seems to respond to your messages much quicker than to mine. Wink

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #342 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 2:55pm

earlier today i have sent yariv an email about the issue. here is his reply:

"Thanks for the mail, I've made the suggested changes (mines->40, end date->Oct 4th).

Best regards,
Yariv "

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #343 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:42pm

Hi EWQM.,

thank you for getting in contact with Yariv. Due to vacation, I couldn't reply earlier.

And thanks for your thoughts about season 61:
Did know that I caught hexx in div1 #1 places. Did also know that I won less tournaments than having reached #1 in div1 as qqwref and others have sometimes been tournament winners while staying in div2, whereas hexx afaik even won tournaments being in div2/3.
But you didn't mention that yourself will catch us in a few months. Being 25 div1 ranks behind, you will take the lead in season 66 (or even 65), I guess - assuming you get a 7-1 or 6-1 in each season. Of course, I'll do my best to keep you behind for another while Smiley.

And congrats to you about your 14th season win. Number 15 is soon to come, only a few days ahead Wink. So, only two seasons left, and you will catch hexx in this statistics!
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2014 at 4:19pm by Stephan »  

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #344 - Oct 5th, 2014 at 4:23pm

Hi EWQM.,

congratulations for winning a season for the 15th time! Good work!

But besides that, I'm quite proud on my win in S62/T8. A gap of 17 seconds and a winning time that is 61% of #2 time and 41% of #3 time Shocked is very impressive for me as my previous T wins mostly were better finishes in tight races.
Thank you EWQM. for not striking back harder than a 43 yesterday Cheesy.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #345 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 12:27pm

Hey Stephan,

thank you and congratulations on winning S62/T8. Until you posted your 26 I only played normal FL-solving, marking mines and solving squares. When I tried 'blue face' and got the 43, I realised how fast your 26 was and decided to not waste my entire weekend on the far too small chance of beating that 26. It also looks like you are off to a very good start in S63.

Here's a short list of statistics you may find interesting (only counting from when I started playing):

Tournament wins: S: 105 (86) / E: 80 -- by S69
Div1 1st places: S: 111 (95) / E: 90 -- by S68
Div1 Points: S: 2560 (1874) / E: 1574 -- by S170 Cheesy
Div1 Participations: 464 (318) / E: 287 -- never
All Div Participations: 464 (318) / E: 324 -- never
All Div Points: 2560 (1874) / E: 1810 -- (by S70)
Div1 Points Per Participation: 5.517 (5.893) / E: 5.484 -- by S75
All Div Points Per Participation: 5.517 (5.893) / E: 5.586

We now both have a series of 5 consecutive season wins, hexx' best series was 6 though. While hexx still has won 2 seasons more than I have, he could never win 10 out of 12 consecutive seasons.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #346 - Oct 7th, 2014 at 1:46pm

Hi EWQM.,

very interesting statistics. Yes, I like it!!!

You can easily catch me as soon as I stop playing Smiley. Maybe I'm going to retire earlier than S170 Wink.

If you manage to win S63 you would tie the six consecutive wins, but I would lose my series of having won at least one season per year since 2007 Cry.

And about T1: A 5.66 won't be enough I guess Sad.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #347 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 10:32am

Thank you guys, especially EWQM., that you let me win S63/T6. It was exactly my 500th submission in Nonosweeper tournaments (out of 508 possible ones)! So, it was a suitable moment for winning another tournament Smiley.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #348 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 11:11am

Good job, Stephan!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #349 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 7:19pm

Some statistics for the end of Season 64:

nymike is the 23rd player to join division 1. With 215 Participations in other divisions he sets a new record for most participations before eventually joining division 1.

Winning seasons 58-64 (7) beats Hexx' previous longest winning streak of 6 (18-23).

Someone has also placed 1st in division 1 for the 100th time by winning S64T8.

"Team Germany" got a total of 172 points in season 64, beating their previous record of 171 points from season 61.

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #350 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 2:52am

nonosweeper.com is down?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #351 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 11:00am

Hi Sam, nonosweeper.com is working, but the database access seems to be down indeed. So, neither standard level times nor tournament times nor any tournament info are available. I've already sent a mail to Yariv, hopefully he will read it and fix the problem soon.

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #352 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 12:39pm

thanks Stephan. i got a big jump on my exp record so i was pretty alarmed to be reminded that it wasn't working! (i saved the url of course)

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #353 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 3:42pm

Server should be working again, so feel free to upload your time Smiley

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #354 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 4:15pm

After the end of season 65, here are some more random stats:

In seasons 62, 63, 64 and 65 I only placed 1st or 2nd, equalling hexx' longest streak of season with only top 2 rankings from seasons 6, 7, 8 and 9.

Out of 32 boards hexx results were 23-7 (He missed 2 boards in season 8) and mine are 22-10.

In seasons 17 through 21 hexx ranked top 3 in every board he played, finishing 26-11-2. Season 65 continued my streak starting from season 60 with 33-14-1. (best for 5 consecutive seasons is 27-12-1)

For top 4 rankings only seasons the record stands at 11 consecutive seasons and is now held by 3 players:

Maruda's streak went from seasons 11 through 21, finishing all 88 boards and ranking 19-31-27-11

hexx' streak went from seasons 4 through 14, finishing 86 boards and ranking 54-18-5-9. Note that hexx also ranked top4 in every board in seasons 2 and 3. However, these seasones had no divisions.

My streak started in season 55 and is still ongoing after season 65. Ouf of 88 finished boards I ranked 54-22-7-5.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #355 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 12:04pm

Also a list of div1 players' ranking in their first div1 tournament:

1st: Luca (S4T1)

2nd: Stephan (S4T1)

3rd: hexx (S4T1)

4th: Maruda (S4T1), Nikolaj (S5T1)

5th: Gero Wälz (S4T1), Christoph (S12T1), Gabi (S19T1), Alliska (S20T1)

6th: piman (S4T1), Dan (S5T1), Manuel Heider (S18T1), Lutz Guenther (S36T1), NYMike (S65T1), Sam Haynes (S66T1)

7th: Qetuth (S4T1), Vladimir Orlov (S6T1), Gene (S8T1), EWQMinesweeper (S24T1), Harryck Repse (S40T1)

8th: Roland Seibt (S4T1), Caren (S12T1), Dragon (S17T1), qqwref (S40T1)

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #356 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 6:40pm

Interesting statistics, as always. And impressive ones as well, of course Smiley.

I'm quite happy to be one of the two reasons that EWQM.'s last 32 participations didn't end in results of 32-0 Wink.

So, players out there: Keep playing to avoid EWQM. winning every Nono tournament. Would be a bit boring Huh?

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #357 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 7:18pm

100 tournaments won: check.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #358 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 4:54pm

Hi EWQM., congratulations, good work!

You are just too fast for me to compete seriously with you on T wins. So, you will grab the all-time best in terms of T wins by end of July 2015.

Btw: Funny figures in your profile at the moment:
Total tournaments won: 100
Seasons in Division 1: 40
Seasons in Division 2: 4
Seasons in Division 3: 1

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #359 - May 3rd, 2015 at 10:58am

Thanks, Stephan.

Speaking of all-time most tournament wins, congratulations on winning your 114th tournament!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #360 - May 10th, 2015 at 2:00pm

FYI, S66T7 was the first tournament I had to play with my new mouse. The right mouse button on the old mouse is no longer working correctly, which makes it impossible to use on boards that require the use both mouse buttons.

I'm still not quite comfortable with the new mouse and might switch back to the old one on boards that require only one mouse button.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #361 - May 13th, 2015 at 3:02pm

@EWQM.: If you played with a new mouse, but indeed won S66/T7 with a gap of 10 seconds (>13% faster than #2), all other players should give up immediately Wink. You took away the last tiny bit of illusion that you are still beatable in Nono Ts Huh.

Btw, my Minesweeper career was over when my mouse stopped working as I didn't get used to the new one's buttons. It seems, your Nonosweeper career isn't over - despite of new mouse.

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #362 - May 17th, 2015 at 1:20pm

I accomplished my goal since ~midseason of finishing 4th in my first D1 season Smiley

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #363 - May 17th, 2015 at 4:13pm

Congrats to Bobo for making d1, decade of dedication!

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #364 - May 23rd, 2015 at 9:09pm

Congrats to Sam for a great first season in div1.

Congrats to BoBo on making it into div1.

Stephan, I did play S66/T7 with the new mouse and it felt like I could have done 5 to 10 seconds better with my old mouse. S66/T8 then showed that Lutz is very well capable of beating me on medium sized boards. However, playing these two boards with the new mouse took its toll on my wrist. It turned out that the buttons on the new mouse are a lot harder to press than on my old mouse (actually they are no different than any other mouse but on my old mouse they are just incredibly easy to press). My wrist hurt quite a bit after playing these two boards and thus to make it short:

S67/T1 is my last Nonosweeper tournament board.

Good luck to all of you and thanks for the great competition during the last 7 years.

P.S. Just noticed that I posted my first tournament time exactly 7 years ago.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #365 - May 24th, 2015 at 11:13am

Congratulations to Sam and BoBo. Good work when you manage to stay within div1 or to promote to div1.

EWQM., I hope, you don't stop playing Nono T boards at all. Since hexx stopped playing, you have been the master to beat (even Lutz caught up a lot on bigger boards). So, without you, some competition will be missing.
If you really retire, then let's say thank you for sometimes tight competitions in the last years and wish you a good time!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #366 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:18pm

> S67/T1 is my last Nonosweeper tournament board.

I must say: This statement seems to be a lie Huh.
Good work, EWQM. - even if you destroyed a chance for me to win a tournament with a time submitted on my birthday Cool.

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #367 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:23pm

tricky...

also i feel like defending myself even though no one has ever commented on it, i like to give the tournaments a try on my touchpad on sundays so when i have a really terrible time up early in the week that's usually why Tongue

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #368 - Jun 7th, 2015 at 9:29pm

Stephan wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 6:18pm:
> S67/T1 is my last Nonosweeper tournament board.

I must say: This statement seems to be a lie Huh.
Good work, EWQM. - even if you destroyed a chance for me to win a tournament with a time submitted on my birthday Cool.

Happy birthday, Stephan Smiley

Here's why I posted last week: NYMIKE told me that Sam had posted a good time. I wanted to try the board at least once and my first time was already 15.45s. 10 minutes later I got the 12.48.

By the way, my first completed game on the current board is almost sub20. If it's fast enough to win, I'll post on saturday.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #369 - Jun 12th, 2015 at 11:45pm

Bump! Someone better post a sub20 tomorrow or else I win yet another board Wink

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #370 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 8:17am

Sorry, EWQM., but I needed to try at least to get a sub-20. And after lots of games, I got that 19.14, beating my personal best on this grid by 2 seconds Smiley. But you could have submitted your time anyway, would have reached for a second rank which is still amazingly good for a time you got on that board as first time.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #371 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:37pm

Great work, Lutz! No chance for me to beat a 0.74 in T7. You will definitively win this season, congratulations!

IP Logged

Lutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #372 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 10:26am

Thank you, Stephan. I'm pretty sure, however, that I would have finished 3rd (as always) if EWQM was still playing. But given the circumstances, I decided to played a lot more than I do normally. As for the next seasons, I'll do my best to make the competition somewhat interesting. Smiley

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #373 - Jul 11th, 2015 at 1:52am

i've beaten my time 4 times today and only shaved off like a second >_>

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #374 - Jul 12th, 2015 at 9:42am

Congratulations Lutz!

IP Logged

Lutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #375 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 7:53pm

After playing the current T3 board for quite a while, I would be surprised if anybody was able to submit a time. Maybe we should change the board.

IP Logged

Sam Haynes
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #376 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:19am

yeah after a few minutes i pretty much gave up for the week unless it got changed

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #377 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 12:27pm

Aww, I was enjoying that board! Of course, I hadn't gotten more than about 30% in, but still....

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #378 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 9:26am

Finally, there are no more divisions. S69 will be the first season since divisions have been established in S4, where all players (the few remaining ones...) are together in div1. Might be a tough season to win a single T or the whole season.

With that background, I'm lucky that I could win S68, nearly two years after my last season victory.
@EWQM., thank you for rethinking your retirement Wink. I guess your submissions in the last few tournaments helped myself much more than they did for Lutz Huh.

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #379 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 4:20pm

Bottom players will have to bust their ass for single points.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #380 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 9:37pm

@Stephan: Congratulations!
@Lutz: Sorry!

I did my best to keep things interesting between you two until the very last tournament. (and win 2 boards in the meantime)

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #381 - Sep 19th, 2015 at 10:07pm

@Lutz, Stephan: The 21.01 was my first completed game this week and I got it less than 3 minutes after nymike told me "this is your board for sure". The other 3 boards I completed were 21.56, 21.17 and a 24.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #382 - Sep 26th, 2015 at 12:20pm

@EWQM.: I got my 22 already on Monday morning, before leaving for vacation. Unfortunately, I couldn't strike back then at the end of the week.

@hexx: Welcome back. If you rethought your retirement as well, it'll be - imho - impossible for Lutz or myself to win the season. Will be a race between EWQM. and you!

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #383 - Sep 27th, 2015 at 7:38pm

@Stephan: I'm just playing for fun, not particularly interested in T points or ranks.
Also played in S69T1 for less than half an hour, completed only 1 board in 23.90s, but didn't submit the score. Didn't like the board i guess... Tongue

Last T i played a bit more, 3 sessions of 1 hour each. Got 2x sub11s, a 10.04 and 9.73, both on 10+1 3bv boards completed in 10+1 clicks . If this is not perfection, i don't know what perfection is?!Wink Just have a look:https://youtu.be/ttI9f_TYG9s

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #384 - Sep 30th, 2015 at 5:46pm

@hexx: The video is crazy, played very well. But the board is a nice one, indeed. And probably, the 9.44 of EWQM. is perfection as well Smiley.

My 10.34 was played on a 14+1 board, 11 "isles" of them lonely 1s. So, seeing this video, I'm quite unhappy that I only had the saturday to get some submittable times, for this type of board it's always better to have different sessions to increase the chance of getting a ideally arranged board.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #385 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 10:32pm

@Hexx: Welcome back!

@Stephan: I don't remember the board I got the 9.44 on but I had a surprisingly easy time getting sub11s that week. The 34 in T3 was the absolute physical limit for me - what a surprise that it was enough to win.

@Lutz: Wow! 61 is a really gret time for T4.

About T4: Before the 57 I had finished 61.1, 60.04, 60.08, 2 more 60s and lost a low 59 on the last click because of a very stupid mistake.

Here's the replay of the 57:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NO5WC9jmOo

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #386 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 7:36pm

@EWQM: I managed to get 6x sub-60s:
The first was 55.42s (33+56 clicks), then 2x58s, a 55.70s (34+58), a 57.11s and finally the 54.85s (45+54) Smiley

As always i've the vid Cheesy: https://youtu.be/rGUeaTR9-Xw

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #387 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:28pm

So many unforced guesses Shocked

Now I'm a bit mad that I took so long to find the last square in my 57.

IP Logged

hexx

I play speed up free!

Reply #388 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 9:28pm

I'm really surprised with your discovery Shocked Shocked Shocked. if i counted correctly, i did 7 unforced guesses Wink, all in the first 19s of the game.
After that i played wisely Wink

On the other hand, just checked my 55s vids to find only 1 guess in each game Cool.
The vids are here: 55.42s https://youtu.be/0fwzRc4fyOg and 55.70s https://youtu.be/CwLZsAKZD4I

Finally, also checked your 57s vid to find 3 guesses.... Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #389 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:38pm

Anybody of you is able to upload a time for S69/T8 Sad? If I try to submit a time, I get the results of S53/T8 (same grid) and an error message. I've written to Yariv about this, we'll see what is going to happen.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #390 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 12:19pm

Just had the same problem. Welp, at least it was only a mediocre first game.

Thank you for messaging Yariv about this, Stephan.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #391 - Nov 4th, 2015 at 8:06pm

@all: Yariv fixed the problem Cool. The upload of your times is possible now (even those you played earlier this week when you saved the URL).

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #392 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 11:21am

Current board (S70/T2 28w27h79m) seems impossible to finish.

IP Logged

Lutz
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #393 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 12:38pm

I agree.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #394 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 6:34pm

Yariv changed S70/T2 to 28x27 with 29 mines!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print