Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simplism Games Simplism Games
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Tournaments vol. 2 (Read 190171 times)
Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Re: Tournaments vol. 2
Reply #45 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 12:56am

I don't really have anything against a particular type of board although I prefer larger ones that require more thought than luck. But it seems lately we're getting SOOO MANY skew boards!  Cry I was starting to think the system which chooses between the types each season was stuck on the skew setting.

At least this one, despite appearing skewed, plays more like beginner than skewed, so it's a change. Already on the first day two people have beaten the best time of the last time it ran (2.51)

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #46 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 9:17am

@Qetuth: I didn't mean long rectangles in general, I meant random boards. I've nothing against long rectangles, I like them. I just don't like, when the probability of getting an easy board is in a range when it guarantees that only some players get lucky. This is what I hate - the board itself was nice and I enjoyed playing it (otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time with it).
Of course I enjoy the actual board much more, but again I'm unlucky with the timing - my mum is in town to marry next week, thus I'll have even less time to play. However, perhaps I'll find some time and decent boards on saturday to get something better than this 2.30 (I fear the winning time should be around 1.80).

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #47 - Aug 25th, 2009 at 3:11pm

i have to say i did like T4 a lot, though i have to admit i got my best time late at night and being a little drunk (i guess it means it must have been a pretty easy board then).

in general i'm mre a fan of large and slower boards than of those that require only 2-5 seconds of fast clicking - it seems no matter what i do i am just too slow for them (hehe Wink). my 1st sub3 on T5, which i just got, required only 5 clicks and you all would easily have done way better than me on it...i hope that 1 or 2 of the last 3 boards will be a lot bigger (i love boards that take 150-250s to solve them)

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #48 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 1:38am

I know I'm bringing back old topic but I had real fun this tournament, I posted what I thought is best I can do at the start of the week, another player posted a time 2 seconds faster, I tried to give it a last effort to match him, I ended up besting my time 3 times, the second time I was .02 seconds behind the leader, so I kept playing for about hour and a half till i took the lead.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #49 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 8:20am

Hi NyMike,

congratulations for your first division win - it's always nice to see the #1 in front of one's own name Cheesy!
And, of course, it's really a big advantage of the T system, to compete directly with the times of other players who already have submitted their times. Often enough, you play a lot to get up to the guys in front of you, but just don't manage it to beat them Angry.

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #50 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 12:21pm

big congrats mike!  Cheesy

Quote:
so I kept playing for about hour and a half till i took the lead
- that's real dedication to the game Wink hope you'll make it into div3 asap

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #51 - Nov 23rd, 2009 at 4:25pm

out of curiousity: what's your approach to solve T2

my 2 ways of solving seem to be almost equally fast...so i wonder which of the obvious ways you are using and why Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #52 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:03am

TBDMfan wrote on Nov 23rd, 2009 at 4:25pm:
out of curiousity: what's your approach to solve T2

my 2 ways of solving seem to be almost equally fast...so i wonder which of the obvious ways you are using and why Roll Eyes

I'm not comfortable using the blue face method as evidenced by my poor performance in last seasons tournament which required a blue face solve, but I wonder if that's the kind board you blue face?

IP Logged

Harryck Repse

Reply #53 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:22am

I am not good at this tournament board... It does not matter anyway since I am only in div. 3 Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #54 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:51pm

Finally a reasonable time on this T2 S33. 0.07 off my former best, but I still don't think it'll stand - Stephan and Jan are just too fast these days...

IP Logged

TBDMfan

Reply #55 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:08pm

hehehe nice sub2

i think there is more than a chance that it will stand Smiley

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #56 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:00pm

I doubt that I will sub-2 on this board. I'm not as fast as I was. Must be a 6-6 to sub-2, I think.

But Maruda will definitely beat you, as he beats nearly every time that is submitted Wink

IP Logged

Christoph

peace, love and sweeping

vienna
Reply #57 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 10:36am

Arrgh! What a wastes S33 T7 opportunity. That really should have been my 8th tourny.
I had to change my mouse this week and couldn't get used to the new one - it is really hard to find good settings for it. So 1.81 seems not to bad with it  Cry
But if I'm not winning these tournies I most enjoy, I really should realegate  Smiley
However, I'm not gonna play this ugly T8... so bad news for who ever plans to promote from D2 next season  Smiley

But what's really sad this season is, that only 7 players sent scores in D4. I think also with 7 players it's a fully worth division and shouldn't merge. I'd really appreciate if the bottom division-merge would be cut down to less than 6 or even 5 - one could argue, that a division makes sense, if more than half the players are active (following that the bottom division should also split after pos 8 if there are more than 12 or 13 players). What do you think? (I'd like the idea of a kind of permanent Div 4 - it just looks better).

IP Logged

NYMIKE
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #58 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:36am

wow a 12 minute epic win, how does the current tournament compare to genius level for those that have completed both.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #59 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:40am

@Christoph:
Your mouse problems were good luck for me. I usually never win beginner-style tournaments, but this time I was lucky with a very easy board which catapulted me from #6 into #1.

About division 4: I don't like mid divisions with only 50% continuously active players. In current div3, Shadow is likely to stay even if he participated only in 2 tournaments and only received 6 points. But we won't change that.
But I still would prefer a rule that with an inactive player in div X, there should be 3 promoters out of div X+2 to have eight active players in div X+1 in the new season. Unfortunately, I assume this will be a problem to be changed.

Perhaps, the bottom-division merge could depend on the number of submitted Ts out of all div players. In the current case, we have 7 players in div 4, but only 20 submissions overall in 7 tournaments (avg. of 2.86 per player). So, in my opinion, it's not a fully worth division as most players are passing by irregularly.

@nymike:
Current T is way easier than genius, as mine density is 60% whereas in genius level, it's only 49%. I compare it to expert level - the only difference is that you need concentration for a longer time. You should easily finish in less than 500 seconds, I think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print