HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Tournaments (Read 210714 times)
Luca

Re: Tournaments
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 9:15pm

(C) for me too.
By the way, I like the current point system.. I think is ok to have two points between the first and the second player, exc..

IP Logged

colin
YaBB Newbies

Reply #31 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 5:16pm

i also think that c) is a good idea as it would be good to compete with those of the same level as me, as i don't always have the opportunity to spend a lot of time playing the tournaments

Also would all the different leagues be playing the same boards as some of the lower leagues may not be able to complete the boards that the higher leagues do also it would be good to test the top players with some really hard boards

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #32 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 6:59pm

About the difficulty of tournaments: Yariv, I think the current tournament (T03) is not the best grid, as it's very difficult to complete (in my eyes more difficult than a genius board). In my opinion, tournaments boards' difficulty should lie somewhere between beginner and expert. Concerning the various types of board shape (quadratic, extreme rectangle, ...), there still remain lots of possibilities so that there is no real need for "genius boards" within the tournament seasons.

About Colin's idea: My opinion is expressed above. I think it's sufficient to have expert and genius mode for "real" ambition. If the leagues come, I would prefer the same boards for all players regardless their league.

IP Logged

Dan

Reply #33 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 4:23am

No kidding about tournament 3 difficulty.  I played off and on all day today and only once did I come close to finishing.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #34 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 7:22am

Only seven listed people after one whole day show seriously that finishing the board is not only skill, but needs lot of luck as well, as otherwise it's very likely to have a wrong guess somewhere...

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #35 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 7:34am

Stop moaning, you lot! I like this board! Wink

I've just completed it twice in my first hour (without guessing), and could have done more!

Many of the grids are almost impossible to complete, but there are plenty of possible ones. This tournament is hard, but that's deliberate - most of the boards will continue to be ones which just need fast clicking, but I want some to require fast thinking as well! It might give a welcome shake-up to the league tables as well.
Tongue

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 1:59pm

I don't like this tournament too
But I think that Yariv is right, it's nice to have different tables (quick ones, "lucky ones"...)
I think that this tornament is 40% luck and 30% speed and 30% intuition

P.S. in one hour i could finish 5 tables

IP Logged

Qetuth
YaBB Administrator

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 5:03am

Board 3 is great!

And its challenging enough that I actually had 8 points for a fair while Smiley.

I think the divisions (C) is a good idea, but it could have a bit of a problem with how quickly people can improve lots at this. It might have to have a fairly short time between promotion points.

Rather than shorter seasons, what about the possibility of promotion at any point, and rather than division winners theres an overall table of points covering all divisions? Also, division 1 could have a slightly higher points spread, to avoid it being a disadvantage to play too well and get promoted.

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #38 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 10:12am

this is the 4th tournament that finish in less than 30 sec... (the 3rd in less than 20)
what do you think about it?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #39 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 9:15pm

I always preferred the boards that take more time to finish (but are easy enough that one has the chance to finish several boards). So, I hope, the next tournaments will be boards in the style of T02, T04 or T07 of season 1.

The current tournament is not the best, I think, as it's almost the same than normal Intermediate (okay, 6 additional mines, but no difference else...)

IP Logged

Luca

1-10,03-47-131

Milano, Italy
Reply #40 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 10:58pm

I like this board because it is possible to use atactic that in intermediate doesn't work perfectly
but i would like to see also tabes which need more time to solve

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #41 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 11:07pm

This week's tournament was randomly generated  Tongue
But I think it's quite interesting to have slight variations on the main boards occasionally.

Anyway, if you want more bigger grids (or whatever) please suggest the sizes and number of mines and I'll put them in the pool! Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Dan

Reply #42 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 9:04pm

bah.... do you really have to give us a 40x25 board with 990 mines?  You are going to end up with ten people with the same time, yet one person will get 10 points while another person will get 1 point.  I just improved my time from 9 to 8 seconds and I actually fell one spot in the ranking.  I suggest you leave the 7 or 8 second boards out.

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #43 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 7:28am

I agree with Dan. Those big easy-to-clean boards should have at least 20 mines so that the finishing time lies somewhere between 15 and 20 which gives at least some possible gap between #1 and #10. Or, alternatively, for the tournaments, the exact times could be uploaded and displayed. In my eyes, it's more just to be in top with 7.40 compared with a 7.42 on the second place than being first just due to earlier upload.

Some final words on the previous tournament: It looked quite similar to the "normal" intermediate board, but due to the bigger mine density, I developed some tactics to play nf (non-flagging) which was a very nice strategy for this board. So, I change my opinion that that tournament board was boring.

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #44 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 8:22am

I hope to implement the exact time uploading (for tournaments only) at the start of the next season.

I don't completely agree with the criticisms about the current board because firstly I think that if 4 people can get 7 seconds in the first day, then 6 seconds (and possibly five) is definitely possible in a week, and in that case the race to be the first to get it should be interesting. In this case the order of uploading is relevant.

More to the point, though, I've had hardly any suggestions from users for possible tournament grids (except for a few from Stephan), so if you don't like the ones I've come up with, I recommend you suggest some good ones! Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 27
Send Topic Print