Tournaments (Read 210762 times)
Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Tournaments
Jan 10th, 2005 at 1:31pm

Tournament comments and suggestions here please! Wink

I'd like people to recommend configurations that they'd like to see for the tournament games, because it's quite time-consuming for me to think of and test them all.
Any ideas? As many as possible, please!!

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Re: Tournaments
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 4:27pm

1. Is it possible to make boards that don't have a rectangle area? Would be fun to solve ellipses or triangles or something like that, I think.

2. As a second suggestion for tournaments, I propose to have only boards that require a minimum playing time of ~10 seconds. T6 had a shared second place with 4 seconds. So, if one doesn't upload a very good time on the first or at least second day of the session time, it's nearly hopeless to get a good position (Luca's 3 is the single exception)!

3. As a third proposal, what about pictures similar to those in World of CryptoPics? Could be easier for you, and it's juster as everyone has to play the same board.

IP Logged

Jon Simonsen

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 10:22am

I've tried playing custom games with 995 mines on a 25*40 board. I don't know if that would be a good idea for a tournament, but a large board with some extreme mine density might work.  It's just a suggestion. I'm still just playing the original levels (beg, int, exp and genius), so you might want to listen closer to those who actually compete in the tournaments.

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 7:11am

Thanks Jon, that's a really good idea!
Keep them coming people, I need lots more!

Stephan: suggestions 1 & 3 are interesting - although they would both need rewrites of the program, of course. For no.1, are you thinking of different shaped grid blocks, or square blocks but in a different pattern? (if the latter, I guess it's just a matter of setting some squares to blanks before starting.)
No.3 would be nice, but of course having the same pattern each time means that you could solve it slowly and then restart to get a good time. Plus I'd have to make lots of picture-puzzles!

As for no.2, I'll try to keep the <10sec puzzles to a minimum but I'll put them in occasionally for variety! In any case, I can't always tell how low the times will go until you experts play it!
Wink

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 7:28am

Jon, I checked out. It's very easy to solve indeed, but surprisingly, I wasn't really fast. My best (out of 5 attempts) was 6 seconds. So, maybe we should have 1% free squares (10 on 40x25, for example).

Yariv, concerning my idea 1: I thought of boards where the area to solve is not rectangular or square-like. This could be quite easily handled by pre-opened squares in each game:
O O S O O
O S S S O
S S S S S

The example aboves would be a triangular board (every S symbolizes a square to solve). Every O is a free square that is already uncovered. That means that nothing has to be changed at the game itself (generally rectangular board, two types of squares [mines, free ones]), but only at the number of uncovered squares in the beginning.

Concerning No.2: I know that. But then, we would see who is really the fastest one as no one can get a board with a better distribution of mines than another.

IP Logged

Kire
YaBB Newbies

Impossible is nothing!

Bulgaria, Sofia
Tournament 10
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 9:23pm

Hey Stephan,your time of 5 seconds is really amazing! 8)
Good job,I think that's the frontier of the human possibilties for this level Shocked Smiley,what do ya think?
So,will u agree 2 share how much amount of luck Wink (the configuration of the board) you've got ???
Keep it up man,I'm sure you are one of the sweepers who might achieve 0 on begginer 8) 8) !!

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2005 at 6:47am

@Kire: I wouldn't bet on winning the tournament with 5 seconds. I'm afraid of Luca, Roli or Xpert getting a 4.

It's very easy: I need about 1 second per click in tournament 10. So, some squares to open must be directly besides eachother or at least lie in the same region of the board. This isn't very rare, so you just have to be fast. I got ~20 6s and >35 7s before finally achieving that 5, so a practicing effect is there indeed...

I can provide the screenshot tomorrow if anyone is interested.

IP Logged

Kire
YaBB Newbies

Impossible is nothing!

Bulgaria, Sofia
Tournament 3 and 12
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 9:35am

I still can't undestand how you've made these scores in t3,which prevents me of making good time in t12  ???

IP Logged

Luca

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 3:33pm

Yariv, was this the last tournament of this "season"?

p.s. Stephan 5 in T11 impressed me too

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 8:24pm

> Yariv, was this the last tournament of this "season"?

Yes, almost certainly!  Shocked
As long as I can fix the database and code before it finishes!

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 9:16am

@Luca:

Thanks, but it impressed me more that you didn't make a 4 or at least tie my 5.

And concerning the seasons: Theoretically, it doesn't really matter whether T11 is the last tournament of season 1 or there will be a T12. You'll win either way...

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 9:21am

And Luca, the most impressive thing in the tournaments is that you nearly always overtake me in the last night. I hate that.

Don't you think it's quite risky not to upload your personal bests as fast as possible? If my best in T11 would have been 90, you would finally have been in #2 only due to later upload. That's the reason why I rarely hesitate to upload my best times immediately.

IP Logged

Luca

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 4:59pm

it is a risk but with a little luck it works

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 2:52pm

Hey, Yariv, you stole the tournament statistics of my private homepage, didn't you? But my rank distribution is still unique  Wink

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:28pm

Actually, the points ranking was there all along, I just changed the button yesterday  Grin

But I love your tournament stats page and I have no intention of implementing any more of it, so keep up the good work!

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print