Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Simplism Games Simplism Games
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ranking Ideas (Read 18733 times)
Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Ranking Ideas
Jan 7th, 2005 at 3:16pm

As mentioned some time ago in the general Nonosweeper thread, I'd prefer to have some additional rankings which are less sensitive against "lucky punches" (i.e. a record time which is a lot faster than the "normal" times of a player).

I suggest again a ranking of Top10-times. The ranking time for each level would be the sum of the 10 fastest games a player has achieved in that level. Those 10 times can be easily seen together by looking at the "Best times" table available in the Pro Version (see picture on the left of http://www.nonosweeper.com/pro.html).

For missing times (if anyone has completed less than 10 games in a level), a penalty time is counted. I propose the last listed time of a player, with an additional penalty of 10% of that time.

An example: My genius times are 216, 299, 322, 367, 607. So, my penalty times 6 to 10 would be 607 + 607·10% = 607 + 61 (always rounded up to next integer!) = 668. My ranking sum for Genius level would be 216+299+322+367+607+668·5=5151

If that is too difficult to calculate, we can take 999 as time for all missing ones.

Btw, I'm quite sure that, finally, no one will really care about the calculation of the penalty as to get in direction to the top of the rankings, you will have to achieve ten decent times regardless what the penalty algorithm is.

I know that at least Roland Seibt likes the idea of a ranking of Top10 times.

What does the rest think of it? Any comments or ideas?

IP Logged

Lloyd Rhoads

Re: Ranking Ideas
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 4:34am

I like the idea of average times rankings.  Top 10 games seems a little excessive, so I would propose top 5 games, and since the top 5 are already listed on profiles, it shouldn't be very difficult to implement.  As for penalties, I think they would mostly apply to the genius level, since finishing 5 genius boards is no easy task (I've finished 2).  A penalty of 999 seems a little excessive, since that would make your ranking meaningless.  I would propose a 50 or 100% penalty, or just not allow people to be ranked until they have completed 5 boards.

IP Logged

Roliamant

Nono cures Minesweeper
addictions as substitute!

Bielefeld, Germany
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Hi, as a new member of the forum I can now repeat what Stephan said. I like the idea of the Top-10or5-ranking very much. I like the calculation idea of the last stat. But considering for genius I think it'd be better to let people only join in general when 5 v 10 are finished. Thinking myself back a few months I was so happy completing genius even in 999secs. So it doesn't have to be a disadvantage taking that as penalty time.... Me switching now to other topic. Wink Happy Nonosweeping.

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 2:45pm

I don't have any objection to 999 as a penalty time on Genius, in fact I think it would work rather well, but where does that leave us for the other levels?

I'd envisioned a penalty system like the one Stephan suggested, but I notice that, for example, if only the 216 had been uploaded the scores would be 216+238*9 (=2358), which would beat even a 204, 220 (204+220+242*8=2360).

How about (and I realise this is getting a little complicated) taking the average of all scores uploaded, and adding a penalty of 10% times the number of unavailable scores (or 20% if we use best-5)?
Hence the 216 gives a penalty time of 216*190%=411 so a total of 216+411*9=3915

204, 220 gives an average of 212 -> penalty of 212*180%=382 so a total of 204+220+382*8=3480

216, 299, 322, 367, 607 gives average 363 -> penalty 363*150%=545 so a total of 216+299+322+367+607+545*5=4536

Alternatively a flat penalty rate of 50% on the average gives
216 -> 3132
204, 220 -> 2968
216, 299, 322, 367, 607 -> 4536

This is simpler but perhaps too generous to those who don't upload many scores?

In any case I'm inclined to agree with Lloyd that 5 games is enough, so the above calculations might need fiddling, but anyway.

What do you think?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 4:21pm

I still prefer 10 over 5. lloyd, the 5 scores uploaded are the 5 best scores uploaded which is not necessarily the same the the 5 best scores overall.

I suggested 10, because in the Best Times window of the Pro version, there are listed 10 times. It might be easy to calculate the sum of those times and then create an url to upload the sum (maybe implemented in version 1.4?)

About the penalty: I uploaded every personal best as soon as possible to get a better rank in the ranking. I would have done this even if I had a worse average. Yariv, I think, there won't normally be a player who has finished only one single Genius game, but that one in 204. It's always a process of practising. That's another reason why to take Best Times and not Best Uploaded Times. A player who plays fast won't look at the timer until he has finished - and then, the game is saved regardless whether he likes having it in his Top10.

Maybe, we should wait on some more opinions...

IP Logged

Roliamant

Nono cures Minesweeper

Bielefeld, Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 4:29pm

I totally agree with Stephan's last post. Smiley

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 9:30pm

OK, the problem is that the best times list stored locally can be edited by hand - so it can't be used in the rankings because people will cheat. Even if I change this, you would have to lose all the scores achieved up to now.  Sad

At present, you can avoid putting your time into the list by closing the name entry screen, but anyway, I think players WILL start checking the timer before clicking the last square if there is a chance that the score could move them down the rankings, and I don't want to create an incentive not to finish games!

So I think we have to make it a matter of choice which scores are uploaded and used in the rankings - therefore it would be possible to have only one very good score in the database.
Either way, you must agree that the 216 / 204,220 situation is a problem.

You said that "I uploaded every personal best as soon as possible to get a better rank in the ranking. I would have done this even if I had a worse average" - this is reasonable (notwithstanding the above problems) because PBs will always move you up, but the question arises when you get a good score that isn't a PB - it shouldn't move you DOWN the rankings unless you have only a few scores AND it's substantially worse than your average. Shocked

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Jon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 10:41am

I don't know if it is less cheat-proof to accept uploading of times that's not submitted at once. If the hiscores.dat-file can be secured against cheating, I would prefer that one could upload times even if one didn't do it at once. This way one could play on a computer without internet-connection, and still be ranked. I've even had some problems with the browser I'm using that has prevented me from uploading a few of my times. Maybe it would be better to accept scores that isn't submitted at once?

IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 11:58am

@Jon: I never upload at once. I save the URL (there is an option to "Get URL") and then upload it when I'm connected to the internet next time.

IP Logged

Roliamant

Nono cures Minesweeper

Bielefeld, Germany
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 12:56pm

Yeah, me too. Sucks at tournaments sometimes. And congrats to your 1 s, Jon. The 115 2s in 2 weeks sound amazing, too.  Shocked Oh, and Stephan: I'm pretty sure your expert record is for eternity. All my lucky games at the moment are around 87, and I don't consider myself to be much slower than you are. Only chance would be the "lottery board" (One in a million).  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 4:51pm

Just a minor point, but if a score fails to upload due to internet problems, you can still grab the URL retrospectively from lastURL.txt and try again later. (from v1.3)
Undecided

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 8:56pm

I think I've got it - how about we take the average of available scores, and simply add a 10% penalty to that total for each missing score?
So (assuming a best-5 system) the average of four scores gets multiplied by 110%, three scores by 120% etc.

A simple system but it should keep those who don't upload many scores off the top of the table.
How about it?

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Stephan
YaBB Administrator

1-12-56-161

Munich, Germany
Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2005 at 10:04pm

Good idea for the penalty, I think, but I'm not sure what you mean with "available scores". Uploaded ones?

I'd still prefer the Top10 idea, with the scores listed in the best times window. So, everyone can prove by screenshot if necessary.

IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 6:41am

Yes, I meant uploaded scores. Roll Eyes

As I said, to use the locally stored scores for the rankings would mean losing all the records we have so far because they aren't secured/encrypted, so I don't think it's worth it... sorry Undecided

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Yariv
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Japan
Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 1:49pm

It took a major rewrite (because it can't be done with a single SQL query any more), but I've finally done the rankings! Am I brilliant or what?! Grin
It takes too long to query all the data each time you view the rankings, so I've had to construct a table which holds the averages and is (or should be) updated when someone uploads a new score - I'm too knackered to test it properly tonight, so please let me know if it isn't updating or doing what it's supposed to! Ta  Tongue

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print